GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing E36 auto trans lifetimefluid for A5S310Z

Default Replacing E36 auto trans lifetimefluid for A5S310Z

Has anyone done this before? I've looked underneath the car and it has a drain plug but no fill plug / dipstick. TIS recommends to fill the transmisson where the drain plug is. Unless the tool is special, how can you take out the filler tube without trans fluid coming out also? I have the auto trans filter ordered.

I read some post over on bimmerforums - and some of the dudes are saying that they remove the transmission and tip it upside down to replace the trans fluid.

Kriss there is a routine described on pelican parts site -

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Fluid_Auto.htm

also-

http://home.socal.rr.com/tyrone/SD92-114.pdf

I was looking at doing this with my wifes E36 but there was a lot of discussion on this or the 5 series forum about possible problems if you change lifetime fluid so I decided to leave it.
    I did remove that big plug to check the fluid level - fluid did not pour out.
    If you remove the plug just be ready to screw it back in quickly if fluid does pour out.

Bill G Melbourne Aust

Thanks Bill G. Bill R pointed out to me thats for GM gearboxes and it does not apply to our cars becasue we have the ZF brand seen on the USA E36 m3 autos. On second notice the pan looks different also, that has two parts while ours (aus e36's) only have one pan. The second link doesn't work for me.

Is the filler plug what your talking about as the big plug

Yeah sorry Kriss I should not rely too much on memory. I actually kept some notes - filler plug is large plug near rear of pan. Some fluid did trickle out when I removed the plug, probably because a bit overfull.
    There is also a small plug near front of pan which is the drain plug as far as I could ascertain. No separate small pan. Label on side of trans indicates ZF 5HP18.
    I clicked on the second link as it appears in my post and it works OK. It is a pdf which includes the diagram in your post and instructions for filling etc.

Bill G

Thanks very much for that Bill g. I also spoke to (god) Bill R - he's been helping me out also. Thanks for the pdf it worked for me this time. I've to get a filter kit from BMA and change the fluid. I just want to know how to go about it before I start mucking around with it.

You stated Bill, "I was looking at doing this with my wifes E36 but there was a lot of discussion on this or the 5 series forum about possible problems if you change lifetime fluid so I decided to leave it"

Well what happens if you don't change it? The fluid evenutally becomes black and worn out and you then have to replace the transmisson right? My mothers can has done 115,000kms, I'm thinking its now time for it to be changed. Lifetime fluid only means for the life of the transmisson and one of the indicators of transmission life is how often the fluid is changed. Edit: Bill R tells me BMW specifies that at 100,000miles (160,000kms).

Good luck with it and thanks for the info mate.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 05-16-2006 at 08:37 PM.

Kriss our E36 has done about 125000 k - I would describe the fluid colour as dirty red/brown. I am seriously considering changing it.
    I think a significant amount of fluid remains in the works when not running so what you are changing is most but not all of it. Some guys go to the trouble of changing twice or more to get most of the old stuff out.
    I would be really interested to hear if performance is any different after you renew your trans fluid eg. crisper gear changes etc.

Bill G

Default .

So far the trans seems fine and strong. But a rebuild costs a lot of money. I'm going speak to this organisation soon on how much the lifetime fluid is. I can't find any other organisation that sells it. Bill R suggested strongly not to mix the lifetime fluid with regular dexron 3.

http://www.imperialoil.com.au/NewFiles/products.html