GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing oil filter in between oil changes

Default changing oil filter in between oil changes

is this a good practice . i put in 15 50 synthetic mobil one in my 210k 91 535i and it looks a little dirty after about 1500 miles.change filter? oil change?? any input ??

no input.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Leave it until next oil change. Just because it's dirty, doesn't mean you must change it. When your next oil change it up, then change oil and oil filter.
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by diamond777
    is this a good practice . i put in 15 50 synthetic mobil one in my 210k 91 535i and it looks a little dirty after about 1500 miles.change filter? oil change?? any input ??
    A little more info might help.
    Is this a new car to you ?
    Have you used this synthetic oil before ?
    Has the car had synthetic oil of any kind in it before ?

The only advice I can give is that you can never change oil & filter too frequently. All you are wasting is money and time if it isn't necessary.

If this was its first exposure to full synthetic it might be that the oil is cleaning the engine which has deposits in it. In this case changing the oil & filter frequently might be a good idea.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

yes it is the first time putting in synthetic.the car is new to me to the tune of about 5k total miles

Many change 1/2 way through an extended oil change. That is if you intend to go, for example, 8,000 miles between oil changes, replace filter at 4,000 miles.

You may also want to tear open a filter 1/2 way through and look for sludge etc. in the filter pleats. if filter is mostly clean keep the filter for the oil change duration next time.

Of course I am assuming you are using high quality synthetic oil capable of extended oil changes.

This is just my opinion of course.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Sorry to hi hack the tthread here. But how long should I drive for between oil changed. I've just done a oil change with new filter. I think it's a couple thousand Ks. 16,000 Km/s?
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Just an interesting bit; In a former life I worked at one of Mazda's U.S. distribution centers. Warranty claims and mechanics were trained there. As an experiment the warranty manager took a brand new car (RX2 rotary) and drove it without EVER changing the oil to see how long it would go. Filters were changed though and as rotaries use oil by nature additional was added as needed. He drove and beat the living **** out of this poor car over 50,000 miles before wrecking it. I don't recall if they ever tore down the motor to check wear or not. But the car drove every day without any unusual problems.
    This same guy also "borrowed" a land speed record attempt car from Racing Beat that was stored in our shop for display at the Chicago auto show. You should hear a racing rotary at about a million revs. He drove it like a rental!

do the chains and stuff under the oil cap look dirty?

15 weight is a bit thick for an E34 and can cause cold start circulation problems, starving the cams for about 30s and causing unneeded wear.

however 50wt at hot is right around perfect for a big 6 with 200K on it.

everything looks clear and clean and i get no rattle at start -up at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast