GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New noise for the week.Rear wheel bearing?

Default New noise for the week.Rear wheel bearing?

Had the car in for a tire rotation and wheel alignment last week.Then immediately drove 150 miles return trip, (wild goose chase to look at a bogus B11 Alpina that was for sale),with no problems.Back home within a couple of days a new noise has developed .It appears to be coming from the left rear wheel.A kind of 'ticka ticka ticka" noise that varies with the road speed but isn't there all the time.I have noticed it in the past but it comes and goes. I'm suspecting a bad rear wheel bearing.Is this a shop job or can a fairly handy ex mechanic handle it at home?,Crusty.

I had a wheel bearing go bad, and it was just a road speed dependant groaning noise. I've heard they don't all make the same bad sounds though. what part of New Zealand are you in?

I've got the same 'ticka ticka ticka" noise. Mine occurs once per rear wheel revolution. I think it's cv joint noise. I find if I raise the rear of the car, put it in gear and run it up to 40 mph for 10 seconds or so, the noise will be gone for a few days to a few months.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty nz
    Had the car in for a tire rotation and wheel alignment last week.Then immediately drove 150 miles return trip, (wild goose chase to look at a bogus B11 Alpina that was for sale),with no problems.Back home within a couple of days a new noise has developed .It appears to be coming from the left rear wheel.A kind of 'ticka ticka ticka" noise that varies with the road speed but isn't there all the time.I have noticed it in the past but it comes and goes. I'm suspecting a bad rear wheel bearing.Is this a shop job or can a fairly handy ex mechanic handle it at home?,Crusty.

Unregistered Guest

Default BMW Bearing

You need a special set of tools to replace the rear wheel bearings.
    But first check that this is the cause. Jack up car. Place on stands to be safe. Run car at 30 then increase until you hear sounds. Should be from just one side. Brake wheels. Then hold the noisy wheel still and take car to 40 or so. (it's Ok drive will only be to one wheel!unless you have powerdrive diff)Is the noise still there if it isn't then that's your problem. If it is it may be the diff, or a shaft. Removal isn't such a problem and you cando the job yourself, but when you refit the inner drive plate you have to be careful that you don't knock out the new bearings and have to PULL the shaft through using washers against the drive flange. Just another point. When they go yoiu usually find the other goes soon after! Good luck. A little tip. When you replace the bearing heat the whole of the outside of the outer axle and the bearing will just slip into place.