GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: replacing rear brakes Any issues?

Default replacing rear brakes Any issues?

I recently replaced my front brakes and rotors myself with no apparent problems. Plan to do the rear with new ATE stock style rotors and Raybestos QS (like front).

The only real concern I have is the emergency brake. Should I replace the shoes? Even If I do not replace the shoes will I still need to adjust the emergency brake?

In my case, since my car is an automatic, I never use the emergency brake except when I place the car on jack stands etc. So I doubt if they need adjusting? TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

The way to adjust them is through one of the holes in the wheel hub... as the manual states. Unless you work it loose (like I did) when you replace the rear rotors, they shouldn't need adjusting. If it takes more than 7 clicks of the handbrake to hold the car, then you'll want to adjust it, else... no.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

yep, plug n play dude...
    Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    The way to adjust them is through one of the holes in the wheel hub... as the manual states. Unless you work it loose (like I did) when you replace the rear rotors, they shouldn't need adjusting. If it takes more than 7 clicks of the handbrake to hold the car, then you'll want to adjust it, else... no.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I redid the entire parking brake system recently.

its a BITCH!!!!!

took hours.

why? because the springs are a pain in the ass.

I did it because they were all rusted to hell, but the shoes themselves had 80% life left on them, even though they were 12 years old!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I recently replaced my front brakes and rotors myself with no apparent problems. Plan to do the rear with new ATE stock style rotors and Raybestos QS (like front).

The only real concern I have is the emergency brake. Should I replace the shoes? Even If I do not replace the shoes will I still need to adjust the emergency brake?

In my case, since my car is an automatic, I never use the emergency brake except when I place the car on jack stands etc. So I doubt if they need adjusting? TIA

The emergency brake shoes does not require adjustment if it is not out of adjustment.If you require 4/5 clicks to set the emer brake,then it's fine.
    Again,if the emer brakes (which i use as a park brake as mine's a 5 speed manual box)have not been maladjusted,the brakes,theoretically,do not require replacment.Anyhow,the bentley says the emer brakes can be adjusted by removing 1 of the 5 wheel lug bolts but I for one find it quite impossible to see the adjustmenet ratchet.I needed to remove the hub,adjust,refit to get it perfect.But then again,what do I know.............

i dont know why the hell it says that

just remove the caliper and rotor and the adjustment screw is right there.

lol, yep i saw it and ignored it and its exactly the same as with the other roters.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    i dont know why the hell it says that

just remove the caliper and rotor and the adjustment screw is right there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thank guys. Think I will just dive in and see . If there are any issues I will go from there. Looks like a non-issue.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment