GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where is My Self Leveling?

Default Where is My Self Leveling?

Okay, I did the search and I've just spent and hour reading up about the self-leveling system on 530 E34's and have yet to find the pictures or diagrams that I am looking for that shows me where the rear leveling module is or what the rear leveling shocks are supposed to look like.

I have a 530i and a 530iT (both '94). I have looked intensely at the rear underside of the Touring and can't find the module, the link to the sway bar or indications that the rear shocks are of the leveling type. Same for the 530i.

The Touring has ASC and the sedan has ASC+T

I thought all Tourings had self leveling and all E34's with the larger reservoir (no dipstick) requiring the CHS 7.1 and 11s fluid also had self leveling.

The caps on both steering reservoirs show that both cars require CHS 11s hydraulic fluid. I have some on hand (18.50@ liter!) and it appears to be green in color. Both reservoirs show red ATF looking stuff. The owners manual shows ATF.

The Bentley manual shows a picture of the module only. I checked RealOEM and couldn't find ANY of the "self leveling" components that are supposed to be in the back of the car.

I am hoping to get this Touring into shape quickly so I can give it to my dad for his birthday.

Could somebody please help me put the pieces of this puzzle together?

Thanks for the help and great site, invaluable in getting me up to speed on these cars.

DJ

Not really sure what you are looking for, I am not even sure what car you have since you live in the land of moss and slugs. I dont think the US 530's came with self leveling. Someone correct me on this please if I am wrong.

The self leveling shocks had a cylinder about 1.5" in diameter on the side of them near the base of the shock. All the attendant piping and the acumulators should be fairly visably above the axel carrier. If you are lucky, the system has already been deleted since I think you can buy the entire rear suspension for the cost of one self leveling shock.

Punch in the VIN on realoem, if they show no self leveling parts, for your car, then you didnt have it.

What is the story on this car? The info under the hood supersedes all other info. Normaly there will be a page added to the owners manual to reflect any differences in production, so a bit odd that the cap says something different than the manual.

These are both US spec 530's. I am in the Pacific Northwest.

I do not see any additional piping or cylinders at the base of the shocks on the Touring yet it has the large reservoir with no dipstick that, according to Bentley, indicates a self-leveling system.

I am at work now so don't have access to any of the manuals or the VIN of the Touring.

The last seven of the sedan is GE85530 I will run it through RealOEM and see if anything pops up.

Judging by what you have said, would there be the possibilty that the reason these two cars are equipped with the CHS 11s is solely for the Automatic Stability Control?.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    ... you live in the land of moss and slugs.
    I hadn't a clue where that is. I've lived on Vancouver Island (Canada), Connecticut (USA) and England (England), and they're all the land of moss and slugs. Mmmm.... Slugs... <Homer>Arrrrrrhhh!!!! *Drool*</Homer>

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    I hadn't a clue where that is. I've lived on Vancouver Island (Canada), Connecticut (USA) and England (England), and they're all the land of moss and slugs. Mmmm.... Slugs... <Homer>Arrrrrrhhh!!!! *Drool*</Homer>
    Sorry, being facetious. Just south of the Canadian border in Washington.

Investigation of GE85530 (sedan) in RealOEM shows no load leveling so what I am seeing here is the Bentley manual being incorrect when it says that a car with the larger reservoir (with no dipstick) indicates a car equipped with load leveling. That doesn't seem to be true on a 530i built in 5/93.

When I punch in the USA spec Touring (530iT), built in 4/93, it shows a standard suspension except for a switch and rod assy for camber as shown here in RealOEM, http://snipurl.com/qau7 . No lines or special shocks are shown though.
    Last edited by Spasso; 05-10-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Default I'm guessing that both cars have asc+T since if they don't have

self leveling then the only ones that use that reservoir have asc+t.. without asc+t takes the reservoir with the dipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso
    Sorry, being facetious. Just south of the Canadian border in Washington.

Investigation of GE85530 (sedan) in RealOEM shows no load leveling so what I am seeing here is the Bentley manual being incorrect when it says that a car with the larger reservoir (with no dipstick) indicates a car equipped with load leveling. That doesn't seem to be true on a 530i built in 5/93.

When I punch in the USA spec Touring (530iT), built in 4/93, it shows a standard suspension except for a switch and rod assy for camber as shown here in RealOEM, http://snipurl.com/qau7 . No lines or special shocks are shown though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    self leveling then the only ones that use that reservoir have asc+t.. without asc+t takes the reservoir with the dipstick.
    Thanks for the input Bill. That is pretty much the conclusion I have come to.
    The next step is the easiest way to flush the red stuff out of the systems and replace with the CHF 11s.

Anyone one with some tips in addition to the Bentley for a guy without flushing equipment?

Thanks again.
    DJ

P.S Driving the Touring today again, I really like these little V8's. As small as they are they do quite well when you hit the power band. The Touring has shorter gears than the sedan and pulls well off the line. Curb weight says the Touring is 253 lbs heavier. Doesn't feel like it.