GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e38 M-Parallel wheels hub-centric?

Default e38 M-Parallel wheels hub-centric?

I understand the e38 Sport 18 inch M-parallel wheels will fit our e34w without hub-centric adapter rings. If, so, what would be the best tire sizes? I am considering buying new BMW wheels, but not staggered. Opinions on this approach Please. Did not see anything in archives on this issue. Also, any downsides such as suspension modifications, ride changes etc.

What would be the best tire for everyday driving? I am not interested in maximum performance, more of a touring all weather tire suits my commuting needs better. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I just got new tires about a month ago. I found the decision guide and the reviews at Tire Rack really helpful.

While I am really happy with my choice, I am not suggesting it for you as they are not what you are looking for. Mine are staggered and I live in a climate where I only need summer tires. After all the reading I ended up selecting the same tire the PO had on there--the Bridgestone Potenza RE750. They seemed like the best value in a high performance tire.

Tire Racks decision guide

Last edited by Gayle; 05-08-2006 at 04:27 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Gayle, are your wheels off a e38 sport? Are they hub centric? Yep i checked Tire Rack to see what they recommended. Very helpful. Thanks.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I understand the e38 Sport 18 inch M-parallel wheels will fit our e34w without hub-centric adapter rings. If, so, what would be the best tire sizes? I am considering buying new BMW wheels, but not staggered. Opinions on this approach Please. Did not see anything in archives on this issue. Also, any downsides such as suspension modifications, ride changes etc.

What would be the best tire for everyday driving? I am not interested in maximum performance, more of a touring all weather tire suits my commuting needs better. TIA
    All e38 wheels are the same hub size as the e34 (72.5)..
    Just a thought.. If you`re going to buy new, why not just buy the e34
    M-parallels? The only downside to a staggered setup, is that you can`t
    rotate your tires.
    As far as tires.. IMO a stiffer sidewall is better for a heavy car like the e34, especially at higher speeds. The ride is a bit rougher though.
    Pirelli or Michellin make some good rubber.

Do you know the part # for E34 M-Parallels? I was under the impression they were not available on any US E34s, only for the Euro M5. Looks like I was wrong, again Thanks
    Thanks,

Thanks. Look at price! Perhaps used might be best, especialy as the prices on the realoem site are generally low compared to the dealer.
    Thanks,

Gayle, are your wheels off a e38 sport? Are they hub centric? Yep i checked Tire Rack to see what they recommended. Very helpful. Thanks.
    The PO bought mine used for about $1600. I think they were in perfect shape when he bought them. (Less perfect now--that is why hubby is no longer authorized to park my car). I don't know what they came off of. And no they don't require hubcentric rings.

One downside, at least with the high performance tires is that is very hard to get the tires on the rim and less skilled people will ding your rims. Also when I read the individual reviews by people who had purchased the tires I was considering, I got the impression that threadlife is woefullly short--but again that may just be on the high performance tires.

When you were bumming around Tire Racks website, did you also see the composite ratings for specific tires?

Example: survey results for my tires+reviews
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Thanks. Look at price! Perhaps used might be best, especialy as the prices on the realoem site are generally low compared to the dealer.
    Used sets pop up from time to time. shouldn`t be difficult to find.
    you could try here also.
    http://www.wheelcollision.com/bmw.htm