GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: play in pass side rear hub

Default play in pass side rear hub

I had a nail in my tire causing a flat. when I took the wheel off to take it and get the new tire I noticed that the rear hub had excessive play, meaning I could move the hub in and out or towards and away from me. The rear wheel bearings were replaced less than a year ago. I have replaced the whole front end suspesion but the only rear work that has been done is the wheel bearings and the shocks/spring combo.
    Its a 93 525i auto

thanks in advance,

darron
    Last edited by darron525; 05-08-2006 at 12:52 AM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Most likely the hub was not properly torqued and the bearing has lost its preload. If you have caught it right as it lost its preload, you may be able to get away with retorquing it. But if you have a noticable in and out play, I would say it has been loose for too long and you will need to replace the bearing.

An impact wrench is the best tool to use for installing the bearings. It is important for the bearing to rotate as it is being tightened, and an impact wrench will do this. The inner race has a bad habit of poping off if the installer does not have the proper tool to install it, this will shorten the life of the bearing as well. And needless to say, bargain bearings don't last as long either.