GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thrust arm bushings

Default Thrust arm bushings

when they arent torn or otherwise messed up, how sloppy should they be? Real loose, tight ???

Got the Sachs in the front now, went on a short run to re align the driver side which was off from installing an FCP control arm. This thing rides like a land yacht now...going on a short run to see how it rides on the freeway, much better than the Bilsteins so far!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The force at the bushing travels parralel to the bolt, not percandicular. pry the arm sideways, a good used bushing will have about 1/4 of stretch. there should be no movement along the length of the arm unless you really heave on it, then just some slight compression, like compressing a shock bumper.

Okay then, with the strut housing off its loose like somethings missing, not even close to a "shock". Looked up in the excel file, first set were the bavautos, second were from EAPparts which is now gone. The bushing insert plastic things are green but the bushing dont look like it. Ill swear I got a set from BMAparts before the eap ones and failed to log it down. just shy on 10k on the EAP ones but also did the severe brake break in on them which shouldnt have ripped them a new one but thats when I first noticed the shudder. Ill look into the receipts at work tomorrow for the BMA ones, either way thats a lot of thrust arm sets in 50k.

the ebay sets looking mighty tasty right now...

Another longevity test in the making?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    The force at the bushing travels parralel to the bolt, not percandicular. pry the arm sideways, a good used bushing will have about 1/4 of stretch. there should be no movement along the length of the arm unless you really heave on it, then just some slight compression, like compressing a shock bumper.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    ...the ebay sets looking mighty tasty right now... Another longevity test in the making?
    Sorry to hear of your woes Jeff. Be sure to fill out the poll in that other thread... If it is any consolation, my green bushings (weird euro brand arms {Belgian made}) seemed a bit loose but they drive fine.

Also, re shimmy and pads- I didn't do any burn in procedure, just drove as I normally do and no squeals at all. My present rotors are thin to the point of being under spec and they were not super-smooth either, but nothing nasty. I didn't turn them (a shop would have refused and what is the point...) but I avoided replacing them (as I don't roast my brakes- most of the time I am in traffic and coast to a stop). I am banking I'll get away with it until the next set are due... a shop would not have just swapped the pads out for me- they'd have rung me witha quote for new rotors for sure.
    Last edited by genphreak; 05-07-2006 at 06:57 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

get a set of lemforder m5 bushings and be done with it 31 12 2 226 528, they are all we install at my shop on any e34 or e32 and i have yet to need to replace one, redid many blue white and green ones till i suggested to the manager that we try the m5 units as nothing else was working for long, better then 5 years later i don't remember needing to change one m5 bushing, had a few sets out live the balljoints on the arm
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

wow! What color are the M5 bushings? do they ride harder?
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    get a set of lemforder m5 bushings and be done with it 31 12 2 226 528, they are all we install at my shop on any e34 or e32 and i have yet to need to replace one, redid many blue white and green ones till i suggested to the manager that we try the m5 units as nothing else was working for long, better then 5 years later i don't remember needing to change one m5 bushing, had a few sets out live the balljoints on the arm
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Hi sir. Is this the part that I need if I am having vibrations of the steering wheel and shaking at speeds of 45-55 miles per hour?

Thank you

if it is more drastic under braking conditions then yes, if its just while cruising I would check wheel/tire roundness and balance first.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius_GTO
    Hi sir. Is this the part that I need if I am having vibrations of the steering wheel and shaking at speeds of 45-55 miles per hour?

Thank you
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 05-07-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

no plastic insert, rides just fine as they still have a air gap, just a proper rubber bushing with no ****ing oil or little plastic thingie to act as a crutch

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    wow! What color are the M5 bushings? do they ride harder?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Yeah. they sound bad, they should not pivot at all. If properly installed, they should stick out at about ride height with a bit of sag. I always loosen the mounting bolt when I want to lower the hub side of things.

BTW, the gaps in the bushing are meant to compensate for the small amount of rotation the arm makes at the bushing. using solid bushings will just provide faster wear unless the bolt sleeve has a bearing to allow it to rotate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast