GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Okay, I think she need to bleed. Any tips?

Default Okay, I think she needs to bleed. Any tips?

Howzit all,

As per my last thread on my cooling problem. I decided to check the coolan level anyway, it was low, very low. Obviously when I last checked it the problem wasn't there and level was ok.

So I filled it up and cooling was a tiny bit better. Still got got but didn't go to the red as it did last time. So this is telling me she need to be bled.
    Now I have the Bentely manual and there's the E34 BMW site. However I would like some extra tips or tricks on this from you guys who have done it a few times. Could you guys please give me some tips on how to do it. Doing it on Sunday this weekend.

Many thanks all!
    Last edited by Rob; 05-11-2006 at 06:59 AM.
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Default Let It Bleed...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Howzit all,

As per my last thread on my cooling problem. I decided to check the coolan level anyway, it was low, very low. Obviously when I last checked it the problem wasn't there and level was ok.

So I filled it up and cooling was a tiny bit better. Still got got but didn't go to the red as it did last time. So this is telling me she need to be bled.
    Now I have the Bentely manual and there's the E34 BMW site. However I would like some extra tips or tricks on this from you guys who have done it a few times. Could you guys please give me some tips on how to do it. Doing it on Sunday this weekend.

Many thanks all!
    They Bentley manual tells it straight. Just have a few rags on hand bunched up aruond the top to catch the out flow when it starts. Lastly be patient, if the car is cold when you start it takes a while. If you have been driving, be very careful when you loosen the screw so that you don't get a steam burn on scalded by hot coolant.

Are you using the right coolant?

I like to fill it cold, like the Bentley says, then bleed it hot afterwards. My reasoning for this is to get any air trapped behind the t-stat while doing it cold.
    I'll normally try to have the car nose up a little to help, also.
    The way I do it is how it is written up on Understeer.com : http://understeer.com/waterpump.shtml
    Step #10.
    Hope this helps. It's always worked great for my cars.