GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: subframe bushings. effect stability?

Default subframe bushings. effect stability?

The rear subframe bushings are totally shot on my 525i. I have known this since the day I bought the car.. been thinking seriously about replacing them soon. I seen the thread on the sawzaw method and that is the rout I’ll go.

Anyway, can the rear mounts seriously effect the stability of the car? I ask this because the car is a real handful sometimes. Hard to tell but it feels like the rear end is tracking and steering the car. Especially when I pass a semi truck.

Of course the front end could be shot too. I wont touch the front until the rear is fixed. One problem at a time.

BTW garage sale season is starting… For the best deals.. don’t drive up in a black BMW 5 series.
    SOLD!

Default Yup, bad bushings can

make the rear end feel real squirrelly, check the dog bones, stabilizer links and rear end oil while you back there.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

When my rear subframe bushings were bad, the rear wheels often wanted to overtake the front wheels. Wet or dry. Once the rear bushings were fixed, I couldn't cause the rear wheels to overtake the front wheels (I lost my nerve before the rears wheels lost grip). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fujioko
    BTW garage sale season is starting… For the best deals.. don’t drive up in a black BMW 5 series.
    Isn't it funny how people see the 5 and think you must have paid the original sticker price for it... even though it's 15 years old. I'm always explaining myself to customers (for other people I like to let them think I'm loaded!)
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Yes, bad subframe bushing will cause instability, especially at highway speeds. You might fel the rear end floating around on slight curves.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

my bushings were bad, but I simply used Bruno's delrin insert for the rear - it absorbs the slack.
    $25, easy install

Might be worth trying before you do the big job.
    http://www.racingking.net/Canada/scr...?idProduct=693
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

I have delrin inserts. Seem to help with up/down motions and stiffen in corners. No apparent increase in harshness. Even so, if the bushings are worn rather bad, there may be, IMO, some lateral movemnt that will cause self steering.

FYI, I have some wandering that I am trying to eliminate. I have replaceed front struts, rear dogbones, front swaybar links. Yesterday I replaced the front upper thrusts arms with Lemforder/750i bushings. Have not been on the road yet, we shall see
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment