GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is that kik-tik sound?

Default What is that kik-tik sound?

Hi guys,
    I got a problem on my 92 525i (152,000 Miles) started a weird sound for past few days. Its kinda kit-kit-kit-……. Sound which is very clear audible when idling, and goes on faster with RPM. I tried to hear where its coming from but could not find what is causing it, but its coming form some where at top of engine. Additionally, when I start my engine in morning (when engine is cold) then I don’t get this sound until I drive at least 5 miles(until engine get hot). Can any one of you guys suggest me where should I start looking and what are usual suspects in this kind of symptom?

Thanks a lot
    Akhil

Default Beloved BMW valve tic. It is normal if it isnt rattling your teeth out.

Do a valve lash adjustment is all you can do. And even then it still tics.
    PI

Default Could it be related to my oil?

But I don’t understand that why do it start tik sound after engine gets hot (not just worm)? Is this something related to oil thickness? Before my last oil change I always used 15W40 or 20W50 (conventional) but I never had this problem, last oil change I used Mobil1 0W40 synthetic (about 1000 mile ago) and now I am getting this sound. Could it be related to my oil?

Thanks
    Akhil

it could be but I think it has a lot more to do with your valve adjustment and the thicker stuff was a bandaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    But I don’t understand that why do it start tik sound after engine gets hot (not just worm)? Is this something related to oil thickness? Before my last oil change I always used 15W40 or 20W50 (conventional) but I never had this problem, last oil change I used Mobil1 0W40 synthetic (about 1000 mile ago) and now I am getting this sound. Could it be related to my oil?

Thanks
    Akhil
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It could be an injector.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    it could be but I think it has a lot more to do with your valve adjustment and the thicker stuff was a bandaid.

key word, bandaid... now your problem becomes apparent.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

can 100% be injector click

You can't adjust M50 valves.

You probably want to get your injectors checked out ASAP, a sticking injector could burn a valve.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil

Thanks
    Akhil
    Your car uses hydraulic lifters for the rockers - that is the reason why the valves do not need valve adjustment. Those lifters get filled with oil. They perform valve adjustment in real time, every moment the engine runs. So the oil is a relevant element in affecting the ticking sound...

I guess for some reason the oil pressure drops when the engine heats up, not allowing the lifters to use as much oil as they need to continually adjust to the valves.
    Last edited by Rustam; 05-05-2006 at 01:49 PM.

deleted air conditioning

Default You may be right.

Alexlind123 could be right, the location of tik sounds is very close to injectors or fule pressure regulator (closest to 6th cyl.), But I don't know what how injectors work so can't be sure. Is there any moving parts in injector which can cause this sound? And if it is injector, shouldn't that cause same sound always, irrespective of engine temp. ? How can I test injector?

Thanks
    Akhil

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast