GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ignition switch, $550 later (ouch)

Default ignition switch, $550 later (ouch)

1990, 525, 147K miles:
    The key would not turn much past the steering lock, so my indi replaced steering lock assembly ($80), tumbler ($52), and sheer bolt ($3) with a whole lot of labor charge. It appears a hacksaw was required in the disassembly. They said they see about one a month. (I think he is good, but oh so expensive!)

This brings my 10 month repair total up to $4,275, not counting two tow truck rides, and leaves me wondering when one pulls the plug on an older car? After having repaired nearly everything the indi suggests, surely there can't be much else likely to go wrong with it?

BTW, Mark's chip is a nice improvement: Whereas the car used to make you think "sluggish" around town, it now moves quite effortlessly (just like a BMW should). Thank you, Mark.

Default 315 labor to change the ignition lock assy... I'm definitely not charging enough..

Quote Originally Posted by kjbcpa
    1990, 525, 147K miles:
    The key would not turn much past the steering lock, so my indi replaced steering lock assembly ($80), tumbler ($52), and sheer bolt ($3) with a whole lot of labor charge. It appears a hacksaw was required in the disassembly. They said they see about one a month. (I think he is good, but oh so expensive!)

This brings my 10 month repair total up to $4,275, not counting two tow truck rides, and leaves me wondering when one pulls the plug on an older car? After having repaired nearly everything the indi suggests, surely there can't be much else likely to go wrong with it?

BTW, Mark's chip is a nice improvement: Whereas the car used to make you think "sluggish" around town, it now moves quite effortlessly (just like a BMW should). Thank you, Mark.

Default Wish you were closer to Atlanta

So it is a labor intensive procedure. BTW, thanks for previous thread on squeak: Mine has a new squeak that I will insist they remedy.

and bring your 10 months expense to $5000???

Default Its not that labor intensive... I'd be lucky to get 150 if it turned out to

be a real problem....typically a chisel will do the job,no hack saw needed..

Quote Originally Posted by kjbcpa
    So it is a labor intensive procedure. BTW, thanks for previous thread on squeak: Mine has a new squeak that I will insist they remedy.

Default $400 labor, tax, total bill=$550

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    be a real problem....typically a chisel will do the job,no hack saw needed..