GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i speaker upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 535i speaker upgrade

Anyone know of a good upgrade speaker for the speakers in the front dash by the windshield for a 1989 535i? Or is there no such thing as an upgrade for them........I can't find any that look like they will fit, they appear to be the 2.5" midrange speakers. Also what about the tweeters in the door up by the window? Jus wondering cause I have noticed that they tend to distort a lot.

the 2.5 are a hard find because the holes as so shallow. for the tweeters i go a pair of coaxial (two way) component speakers rockford fosgate put the mid range in the kick panel and silicon the tweeter in the door piller. for best sound its best to run crossover. i used a passive three way but most people use the powered ones.

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Quote Originally Posted by LAXman2205
    Anyone know of a good upgrade speaker for the speakers in the front dash by the windshield for a 1989 535i? Or is there no such thing as an upgrade for them........I can't find any that look like they will fit, they appear to be the 2.5" midrange speakers. Also what about the tweeters in the door up by the window? Jus wondering cause I have noticed that they tend to distort a lot.
    The tweeters can be upgraded but any differences in impedance will affect the factory crossover characteristics. I'm in the process of changing my tweeters
    I still have to mod the heatsink because it fouls on the 'A' pillar. As far as the factory dash mounted mids are concerned that is a harder call because I am yet to find anything that will fit in the stock location. Concerning the distortion, are you certain it's coming from the speakers as the stock booster amp leaves a lot to be desired. Several of us have fitted a new amp bypassing the standard booster amp but feeding the factory crossover with good results.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

I am one of those that went with a new amp and utilizing the factory crossover. The sound is great. And I could only afford to use a 40watt 4 channel amp. Derek A used 150 watt amp. The speakers are actually quite good especially when supplied with enough power.

I replaced the front and rear speakers in my 535i. (Mine only had the tweeter in the dash and one in the kick-panel next to where your feet go) I just purchased a pair of 'split' or component speakers...

They are 5in so they mount in the same place on the kick panel, and the tweeter bit, I had to make (out of thin fibre-board... It looked like a little wooden exhaust flange) a 'bracket' the same shape as the factory one in the dash... Then I simply pressed the tweeter into the bracket, so it wouldn't vibrate... Presto. Really really easy.

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...