GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kind OT, Home Depot is going after autozones stomping grounds

Default Kind OT, Home Depot is going after autozones stomping grounds

AutoZone sucks bagg--hopefully Home Depot and Lowe's can make this happen as at least they will have people that attempt to help you and will have a decent selection--if you go to any AutoZone near my house, they have any part for a crap car--freaking 15 radiators for a 1987 Cavalier in stock [but no euro bulbs/correct oil filters for anything except Fords and Chevys--plenty of neons/fake tint/Taz mud flaps though!] and are wandering around aimlessly instead of actually helping you--it took me almost 45 minutes to get them to go into the stock room to get Mobil 15-50 for my 993 one time. I almost beat someone senseless.

someone on bobitheoilguy.com (more than one, actually) said that they had seen gallon jugs of rotella 15w40 at home depot for $6.99, which is strange, since they dont' really sell anything with a diesel motor in it. 6.99/3.78l=1.80=cheaper than walmart. some ppl said that the price had been raised, but either somebody screwed up on the price, or were trying to get people in the door for the stuff.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by VentoGT
    AutoZone sucks bagg--hopefully Home Depot and Lowe's can make this happen as at least they will have people that attempt to help you and will have a decent selection--if you go to any AutoZone near my house, they have any part for a crap car--freaking 15 radiators for a 1987 Cavalier in stock [but no euro bulbs/correct oil filters for anything except Fords and Chevys--plenty of neons/fake tint/Taz mud flaps though!] and are wandering around aimlessly instead of actually helping you--it took me almost 45 minutes to get them to go into the stock room to get Mobil 15-50 for my 993 one time. I almost beat someone senseless.
    I don't see the connection between them NOT having what you need in stock and the employees not being helpful.

Any retail store these days has all sorts of sales statistics available to see what part numbers sell the most- since they have a limited amount of space to keep inventory- they have to draw the line somewhere. I hate to break it to you, but a place like Autozone stocking parts for a 993 or an M5 is just not gonna happen.

Bret.

around here the home depo people are about as smart as rocks. personaly it scares me that they would won't to start a car depo

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Well maybe they'll carry a useful little item no auto parts store has.... a Tire Tread Depth gauge.... I almost went off on the kid at AutoZone who said why the heck would you want one of those anyways, its stupid.... Found one online for $2 and bought 3 of them... I gave him 3 reasons and he still said its useless item.

AutoZone, Advance, & Sears... none of em sell a tread gauge.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Default homo depot

Just what the parts industry needs is another whore to F it up. All the other big box stores have pretty much killed any parts house interested in selling to serious DIYs or small shops.

Unfortunately the big stores cater to the fartpiped sticker boxes and the pimp my ride set. Anyone wno needs hard parts or someone who can look-up a wiper blade without asking engine displacement is going to have to visit the dealer now.

Home Depot,Lowes and their ilk have F'd up the building material business by whoring out some commodity items to get Joe homeowner in the door. I would expect the same in auto parts.

The good part is it will bring price pressure to the existing big box merchants on those commodity goods.

So my thinking is to take full advantage of whatever I can pricewise but never treat them or Auto-Zone,etc. as serious parts sources.

I miss the days when the local parts house was a place you could get advice as well as the parts you needed. Where did all the countermen go?

I have experience with HD and Lowes with regard to special order stuff. They WILL screw it up EVERY time. Perhaps exceptions as some of their people must care and be knowledgeable, I just haven't ancountered them yet.

Load up on the cheap stuff but woe is he who depends on them to keep their car running.

I feel better now.

Hey DanCan23, i hate to tell you but I agree with the KID..total uselss item IMHO ( every here of a penny)

a Tire Tread Depth gauge.... I almost went off on the kid at AutoZone who said why the heck would you want one of those anyways, its stupid.... Found one online for $2 and bought 3 of them... I gave him 3 reasons and he still said its useless item.

But I want exact accurate measurements. The gauges I got have markings for 32nds and you could even figure it out to 64ths..

I thought my tires had 1000 miles left on them... rears are exactly 5/32nds and the fronts 9/64ths.... now I can put of the tires till end of June / early July.

3 reasons

1 - To find the exact tread left to gauge how much longer till you need tires.

2 - To detect small errors in alignment and uneven tread wear.

3 - To know the exact tread depth on used tires versus what the depth was new, to determine price to value.

Quote Originally Posted by califblue
    Hey DanCan23, i hate to tell you but I agree with the KID..total uselss item IMHO ( every here of a penny)

a Tire Tread Depth gauge.... I almost went off on the kid at AutoZone who said why the heck would you want one of those anyways, its stupid.... Found one online for $2 and bought 3 of them... I gave him 3 reasons and he still said its useless item.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

Default I also have to agree with the kid, i've never needed a

tread depth gauge in my entire life.. if you really want to know then buy a 9.99 dial caliper on sale at harbor freight, then you can know it to the .oo1 of an inch using the depth gauge on the end of the caliper and still have the caliper to measure other things.

Quote Originally Posted by DaCan23
    But I want exact accurate measurements. The gauges I got have markings for 32nds and you could even figure it out to 64ths..

I thought my tires had 1000 miles left on them... rears are exactly 5/32nds and the fronts 9/64ths.... now I can put of the tires till end of June / early July.

3 reasons

1 - To find the exact tread left to gauge how much longer till you need tires.

2 - To detect small errors in alignment and uneven tread wear.

3 - To know the exact tread depth on used tires versus what the depth was new, to determine price to value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast