GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New guy needs assistance, please

Default New guy needs assistance, please

Ok, I did research the posts and thought I had it figured out. I can't find the fill plug on the transmission. Go ahead and laugh at me, but after I read how easy it was supposed to be, I drained all the fluid out and now can't find how to put the new fluid in. It has no dipstick and where there is supposed to be a fill plug, there is nothing. I need my car back!!!!! Help!

no dipstick?????? are you sure

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

There must be a dipstick there?!
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Some of the Auto's are "sealed for life" and as such don't have a dipstick.

I had a look at Bruno's excellent site and found this>
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...0Autotrans.pdf

Hope it helps! If not, no doubt one of the technical guru's (or Jeff ) will be along in a minute.

I sure as hell found the drain plug! I have owned several BMW's in the past, but never did the trannie myself, until now. Where is this dipstick or fill plug located? There is not a dipstick like the oil pan has.

I looked at the diagram on said webpage. My 525i is German spec. It's not like these in the pic. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and pay someone to find this fill plug. I'm so frustrated right now I better stop before I say something I'll regret. Thank you all for the quick responses though!

At work when we change the fluid on those trannys we pump the new fluid through the drain plug hole... You pump in EXACTLY what came out. Kindof messy but thats about the only way to do it. You can get a pump to do that at kregan for relitivly cheap.

According to what I've found rearching this forum there ought to be another plug on rear pan near the top to the rear on the left. I'm assuming you have the GM trans. Dexron III is the fluid. There also all sorts of caveats about doing this if it hasn't been done for a while. My own car which I just bought has this trans and it's service history is unknown, I'm having second thoughts now about changing it. Since you are comitted please keep us posted as to the outcome. Last year I changed the trans oil in our Nissan minivan and the trans puked right away. Trans shop said it was coincidental,the torque converter gave up and give us a grand but I have my doubts. GOOD LUCK !