GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The turbine wheel covers need to go back on the wheels.

Default The turbine wheel covers need to go back on the wheels.

If they stay off any longer, I may end up springing for the throwing star covers.

I was wondering about the logic in putting the turbines on the wrong sides. Would the bastards suck hot air past the brakes? They're supposed to blow outside air onto the brakes at speed, when installed as labeled, left & right. Would this make them even more of a pain in ass to keep somewhat clean? Should I have the spare set of turbine covers painted bronzit? Is there an 850 pad that gives off bronzit-colored brake dust?

erased due to slander

I'm not a big fan on the turbines, I like the throwing starts better. The turbines make the car look kind of boring, and it sort of look like whitewall tires are mounted.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

yeah, i don't think they're the prettiest thing around, but i think it adds to the sleeper look a bit. Also, its a very effective method of cooling the brakes. Maybe i'll rock the turbines on the M5 when its up and running again...

arent the throwing stars just as effective in cooling the breaks? I believe that I read somewhere that they were angled to do the same thing as the turbines all the while looking 'cooler'. altho i dont believe that cooling the breaks really matters to the average driver, unless youre running it on the track.

i like the stock m parallels on the Canadian M540i's from 95

Dark metalic gray power coat the covers and polish the lips. I have seen that and they look really great.

Mike

Well, once i get the car up and running again, it will be visiting the track.

::EDIT::
    I just looked into it, aparently the Tstars do move air over the brakes, just not as much. Hence why the factory OEM Tstars are directional :-D I still think the Turbine could be an interesting wheel to run. Although i prefer mine just to run without the covers, just the forged rim.
    Last edited by TheGeak; 03-25-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Default I like the turbines, but

you're right about them being a huge PITA to clean. If you want to try to match brake dust to body color, try Hawk HPS pads. They're available for the 850 single-piston calipers (try bimmerworld.com), and the dust is kind of golden-brown. (And there's much less dust than Mintex).

Turbines rule!

Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    If they stay off any longer, I may end up springing for the throwing star covers.

I was wondering about the logic in putting the turbines on the wrong sides. Would the bastards suck hot air past the brakes? They're supposed to blow outside air onto the brakes at speed, when installed as labeled, left & right. Would this make them even more of a pain in ass to keep somewhat clean? Should I have the spare set of turbine covers painted bronzit? Is there an 850 pad that gives off bronzit-colored brake dust?

Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

I envy your turbines.
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Default That sucks i just ordered the mintex pads

wanted to give them a shot since i just got done w/ a set of metalmasters

I like the look of the turbines on your car Martin -with the silver color and your suspension you've always had the most "M5 looking" 535 I've ever seen imo. Gives it a classy sleeper look.
    It'd be cool to have a set of t-star covers so you could change them out when you wanted and have a different look, or take them off altogether and have yet another look. When I find a set of turbine covers one day for the right price I'm going to get them just for this purpose.
    Good luck with the matching brake dust project.
    You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast