GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 525i E34 Cabin Air Filter

Default 91 525i E34 Cabin Air Filter

Hey, I have a 1991 525i (E34), and I cannot find the cabin air filter! I have taken out pretty much the whole right side of the car in the cabin, and I cannot find it anywere. I saw a photo tutorial of an E34 M5, but there is no little slot next to the 'shark.' To my understanding it should be in between the 'shark' (I guess the AC Control unit) and the AC coils (if it is there, how do I get to it?) If anyone has any thoughts please help me! Thanks AZ

Default The Microfilter is just behind the A/C evaporator...

You have to take out the glovebox, the plastic trimming above it, the A/C duct that is fixed with screws in the wall behind the glovebox, and finally, between the black plastic cap covering the evaporator and the inner side of the firewall is a white plastic cover fixed by a small torx screw and a turning knob. Remove this white cover and you will find the Microfilter. Just let know if this helped you find it, as I can post more detailed instructions if you need them.

Default Thanks

Thanks, I will try this in the morning and tell you if it worked! AZ

Default They don't all have the microfilter...

Not sure when they started, but mines a 1990 and doesn't have one. I suspect 91 might have been the year they were introduced, but you'd have to look it up.

Default Some owners leave it out since the replacement job is

quiet hard to do it yourself. They just keep the interior out of dust... (I think)
    Muratti
    94/540IA /90 K

Default The first time I replaced the microfilter

on my car it took about 50 minutes(being careful and studying how it goes together), the second time took less than 15 minutes. It's not actually that hard of a job.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Muratti View Post
    Some owners leave it out since the replacement job is
    quiet hard to do it yourself. They just keep the interior out of dust... (I think)
    leaving the filter off does not mean dust and debris will NOT came in! they will came in as usual but will slam against the heater core.

replacing the filter is way easier

if you really don't want to replace either, replace the HEPA filter with those fake carbon meshes they sell for regular house airfilters. they will not trap dust (you will breath it), just the bigger stuff that could damage the core

Check your car's manufacture date. It might have been built in 1990 and not have a cabin filter.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

just did my filter yesterday, the compartment was filled with leaves and small things.

Yep, one has to vacuum it out with a spout fitting to clean that up. Beware dates and filters; different markets & models got different options at different times.

A rule of thumb is that around 1990-91 they added filters. The later ones had other changes as well, such as a blower motor resistor in there that will CATCH FIRE if a dry leaf is blown onto it, so NEVER choose to leave a filter out!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast