GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question...

Default Quick question...

Hi all I'm new to the forums and I am in need of an opinion. I have my eyes set on an '89 E34 535iA. I just test drove it and I fell in love with it. It has 104k miles on it and it has LSD listed as an option on the dealer report. (I work for a dealership.) The guy is asking for $4500 but I think that if I show up with $3800-$4000 cash he'll bite. The car has clear corners in the front and euro tail lights in the rear. It's rolling on E39 540i wheels. Check out some of the pics. Do you think it's a good buy? The body is in mint condition with minor dings for a 17 year old car. I took some pics with my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

That's really low mi. for an 89'. Any service records? Is the dealer offering a warranty? Did you check the basic stuff; rotors, oil leaks, AC blowing cold air, etc. Any other mods than what you listed? If it's tight then $3,800 would be a good deal.
    [2004 BMW 330i 225HP Sports Package, Steptronic Trans, Xenon Adaptive Lights

Quote Originally Posted by jeb.
    Hi all I'm new to the forums and I am in need of an opinion. I have my eyes set on an '89 E34 535iA. I just test drove it and I fell in love with it. It has 104k miles on it and it has LSD listed as an option on the dealer report. (I work for a dealership.) The guy is asking for $4500 but I think that if I show up with $3800-$4000 cash he'll bite. The car has clear corners in the front and euro tail lights in the rear. It's rolling on E39 540i wheels. Check out some of the pics. Do you think it's a good buy? The body is in mint condition with minor dings for a 17 year old car. I took some pics with my phone.
    You've essentially missed to provide vital info on the car. What repairs has it had made? Documentation for repairs? Engine compression/leak down tests good?

I can't tell whether this is a good deal or not without positive response to these points...

deleted air conditioning

Great car, I had one for a while before buying my '95 525 (a little regret for loss of HP.) I would make sure the trans shifts smooth. See if a PO had replaced the water pump. Also check for shimmy in the suspension (upper/lower control arms.) Any thing leaking from then engine? Any rust? Errors on the OBC?

What is your position at the dealership?

BTW you phone has a nice camera, mine doesn't take pictures that nice.
    If it all checks out that is a great buy!

EDIT: If this is a quick question, what do you condsider a long question?
    Last edited by SchnellE34; 04-30-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Make sure the Cam Shaft has not worn, a problem with that engine

He has service records for all major repairs. Just changed front control arms and bushings, water pump, t-stat, pads and rotors all around and front shocks. He also recently replaced the valve cover gasket. I checked the trans fluid and it's not too bad. I did a leak down and compression myself yesterday and the engine checks out. The AC blows real cold. Over all the car handles real tight with no vibrations over 70mph. The only thing I noticed was a small rattle from the exhaust. One of the hangers is loose.

And sorry for the long "quick" question.

It sounds like a good price.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

He has service records for all major repairs. Just changed front control arms and bushings, water pump, t-stat, pads and rotors all around and front shocks. He also recently replaced the valve cover gasket. I checked the trans fluid and it's not too bad. I did a leak down and compression myself yesterday and the engine checks out. The AC blows real cold. Over all the car handles real tight with no vibrations over 70mph. The only thing I noticed was a small rattle from the exhaust. One of the hangers is loose.

What are you waiting for? It's cherry. Go get it!
    [2004 BMW 330i 225HP Sports Package, Steptronic Trans, Xenon Adaptive Lights

compression test? leakdown test? why is he selling the car?

deleted air conditioning

Id be getting money out of the bank by now.Sounds like its been well looked after.Loose hanger? Take it down 500 bucks..lol!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast