GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced factory Amp

Default Replaced factory Amp

Well I just finished swapping out the factory amp, keeping the crossovers. I have a 1992 525i. Kudos to the pictures posted here and a thanks to Derek A for a few extra tips.

I put in an Alpine CDE 9852 with Ipod cable as the HU
    I am running an Alpine MRP-F250 as the amplifier (4 Channel 40 watts)

I used the line level inputs by cutting the wires at the amp plug and running my input to over to the amplifier. I then ran the output as Derek A had shown on a previous thread over to the crossovers.

Plugs remained in the old factory amp but I did pull the fuse on the factory as Derek A had suggested. Ran Ground and Power back to the battery.

The end result is that the sound is amazing. Thanks for all the help here. I had a quote originally from Tweeter of about $1300 to improve the sound in the car. Instead I bought all my stuff through Crutchfield and for about half that I thing I have an even better sound.

Have you replaced the speakers or are they still stock? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my car.

Greg Mendoza

Sorry should have mentioned it. They are the stock speakers. Could not believe the difference in the quality.

Default Which pins are negative?

Am doing the same as you just completed but am stuck on two points.
    Looking at Derek's pic of the speaker output from the OEM crossover, which pins are negative? I'm guessing the right of each pair, is this what you did?
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ighlight=derek

Second question is Derek posted a second picture of the crossover and I noticed there was a white wire soldered to the lower part of the board in addition to the speaker outputs.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...thheatsink.jpg

What is this? Does the crossover require power above and beyond what the new amp send it? Is there a remote trigger? I just don't get it as I thought crossovers where passive devices.
    Last edited by billmcdaniel5; 04-30-2006 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Add links to pics that are refered to in text

Quote Originally Posted by billmcdaniel5
    Am doing the same as you just completed but am stuck on two points.
    Looking at Derek's pic of the speaker output from the OEM crossover, which pins are negative? I'm guessing the right of each pair, is this what you did?
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ighlight=derek

Second question is Derek posted a second picture of the crossover and I noticed there was a white wire soldered to the lower part of the board in addition to the speaker outputs.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...thheatsink.jpg

What is this? Does the crossover require power above and beyond what the new amp send it? Is there a remote trigger? I just don't get it as I thought crossovers where passive devices.
    The white wire as shown is in a pic I made many years ago. It is just a jumper from the OE system remote turn-on to the rear mounted amps. Saved running a separate lead to turn them on.

Polarities are ++/-- all the way accross the factory amp/crossover. As long as all are the same, your phasing will be right. If using a sub, you may need to experiment with its phase separately to be sure it is correct.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Thanks, I'm off to do the final hookup. This forum, and the folk who support it, are fantastic!!.

Mc D

When you look at the picture that Derek A submitted with his wiring the wire with the white on it represents the Positive feed. Also you need to make sure to wire two pins for each wire. Derek accomplished it by wrapping his wire around two pins tightening it and then soldering. I did it by holding the wire between the two pins and solder it to each of them.

Let us know how you do.

Default Yet another factory wired premium sound with REAL amplification... nice..

Quote Originally Posted by snavemit
    Well I just finished swapping out the factory amp, I used the line level inputs by cutting the wires at the amp plug and running my input to over to the amplifier. I then ran the output as Derek A had shown on a previous thread over to the crossovers...
    Are you running a single pair of line level signals like this or 2 pairs- if so how badly does the factory fader work on the line-level signal? Any chance you can take the time to post a pic of your connector showing which colour combinations of wires are connected on the factory plug?

Cheers, Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Are you running a single pair of line level signals like this or 2 pairs- if so how badly does the factory fader work on the line-level signal? Any chance you can take the time to post a pic of your connector showing which colour combinations of wires are connected on the factory plug?

Cheers, Nick
    Nick - you must have a different system. The NA spec 10 speaker unit's fader is in the OE HU, not separate (I'm inferring here). Do you have pix?
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Finished installing everything, and it all works!!

Put in an Alpine 9856
    Ran 3 RCA's to trunk (putting in sub, so what the heck)
    Installed a 5 channel Eclipse amp
    Have 10" Eclipse subwoofer firing through the ski hole.
    Kept the factory speakers

Have to fiddle around with the high/low pass filters on the amp, but overall am happy with the results. Gutted the OEM amp as per Derek/Anthony and have the new 5 channel feeding the OEM crossover. Don't have confidence in my soldering skills so used 4 pin connectors to hook up the crossovers.

Would have never figured this out without your help. Thanks again.

Mc D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast