GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my car is trying to kill me when it rains :-D

Default my car is trying to kill me when it rains :-D

g'day everyone i had a weird experience today it was wet and i went through an intersection turning right, and the car had a skatey feeling mid corner and as a straightened up out of the turn she oversteered a bit in the direction of the turn. now i didn't really use alot of throttle no i am wondering wtf?

anyway i think thinking perhaps some of my suspension components being worn could contribute to it, the culprits are A. thrust arms or B. dog bones. could these contribute to the car being oversteery. i was thinking that it was mainly tyres but i want to cover all the bases. not really too worried about this around town more worried about these kind of antics happening the freeway at 120 km/h. thanks

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I thought you replaced everything already? You sure you aren't picking a scab just because it's there.

i am still waiting for my dog bones.... and bushes i am probably not going to replace for a while, i am just wondering whether it is only my chinese rice tyres or could be suspension related

What tires are you using? Most modern tires will give decent purchase on dry road, but the traction on wet and icy roads is where the cost difference comes in. Tires are one of the few things that you don't always pay for what you get on the expensive end, but the cheap tires as a rule won't perform well on wet pavement.

or your air pressures are out of whack from left to right or front to back

Do you know if the rear subframe bushes are OK?

I used to have an E34 525, which had knackered rear subframe bushes - once I was just going leisurely round a roundabout, without giving it any throttle, and the rear wheels tried to overtake the front wheels! I had the bushes replaced. Once I'd had the bushes replaced, I couldn't induce the rear wheels to lose grip (I tried to on a quiet bit of road and I lost my nerve before the rear wheels lost grip).

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    g'day everyone i had a weird experience today it was wet and i went through an intersection turning right, and the car had a skatey feeling mid corner and as a straightened up out of the turn she oversteered a bit in the direction of the turn. now i didn't really use alot of throttle no i am wondering wtf?

anyway i think thinking perhaps some of my suspension components being worn could contribute to it, the culprits are A. thrust arms or B. dog bones. could these contribute to the car being oversteery. i was thinking that it was mainly tyres but i want to cover all the bases. not really too worried about this around town more worried about these kind of antics happening the freeway at 120 km/h. thanks
    I would imagine that your tyres are your first area of investigation. Whatever they are get rid of them and buy some proper tyres - by this I personally mean Michelin - and to quote my favourite saying - "buy tyres you can't afford". Economise anywhere else you like, but NEVER on tyres.

I know that there are lots of good tyres out there according to many posters on this forum and others, however if you choose the wrong ones you cannot take them back so you are stuck with them for their life.

I have NEVER been disappointed when I have bought the best Michelin tyre for the size required and I have been disappointed with Pirelli, Continental, Toyo and others.

I run Michelin Pilot HX MXM tyres on my E34 and find them absolutely brilliant, but at more than $400 each they would want to be. Money well spent IMHO.

After tyres I would look at your dog-bones. An easy job to replace them - see Wingman's recent post.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

one word.TYRES
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    one word.TYRES
    yeah they are on the waaaaaaay i'll give someone with a deathwish the chinese rice tyres got my dog bones today... US postal service doesn't have a day off for labour day!! yay took them long enough. it got through customs at 10:30 am on friday and.... well i think 6 and a half hours is enough to deliver a package in the same city don't you think?

jusyt outa curiosity
    1) what kinda tyres are they???
    2)dogbones....do you have any sounds from the rear end apart from the Shhhhhhhhh of sliding tyres and the "****!" echoing from the drivers seat.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast