GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Too bad - didn't work out - M6

Default Too bad - didn't work out - M6

Had come across a nice '85 M6 on my commute to work. Wasn't moving much, parked out doors so I was curious. Left a message on the car and got connected with the owner.

Turns out he was interested in selling the car. 79k documented miles, 2 owners, euro, no rust, no accidents, all original, very nice interior, all the running gear in good shape, frank fahey hub upgrade. Martin, Erik and I spent a better part of a Sunday going over it...a honest car. Problems were a bad tranny with no 4th gear due to running low on oil (seal failure), a raspy exhaust and no current tabs due to problems getting thru emissions. All in all - a perfect project car.

Of course, it's an M and you have to do the mandatory leakdown test. This is where it get's sad - > 25% on all cylinders. Talked to motor guru Frank Fahey and he says this, unfortunately, is common on the M88 motor. They don't like our 91 octane gas with their 10.5:1 compression. Tend to detonate killing the rings. He was 99% sure that's what killed this one.

Nice car...bad motor...bad tranny. Oh well..had to pass at that point. Sure is a lovely car however.

Anyone got a US spec S38 driveline for sale?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

How much did he want for it??

ill take the motor and build it for my e30
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

jeez so he killed it with detonation using 91?Is that the highest octane generally available there?
    Is the photo of the engine with it running?looks pretty steady,can just see the fan blade blurring but the M power logo etc is pretty sharp
    Keep at him Jeff its an awesome car....it musnt be parted out....criminal(sorry Winfred)
    Gone but not forgotten

that's, all like, expensive and **** a buildable motor would be cheeper (for me) and more to my liking as i get to play with a little

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

if it ran how would it have a 25% leakdown and still start? Rings that bad? detonation bustes ring lands and stuff, cant see all 6 with busted lands.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 04-29-2006 at 06:35 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

That thing looks too much like a friends M6 (below). He moved to the States years ago and was the one that got me into bimmers.

Would the car happen to be in the Virginia, while the owner is in Cali at the Moment?

EDIT: Shelock just checked your sig to realize you're in WA, no chance its his. Very similar though, save for the BBS vs. Style 5s (or is iot just the lack of roundel?)

Either way, nice example. Good luck with with things,

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 04-29-2006 at 05:57 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

the wheel caps look different

Default Ran OK...but not that powerful...

Owner reported it was sucking oil at the rate of 1qt every 750 or so. Figured it was likely hardened seals but that was before the leakdown.

Started OK but ran rough cold and better as it warmed up. Didn't seem to make the power it should. My built M30 felt stronger.

Compression was decent considering - 180+ across. Healthy M88's however will pump 200 to 210 or so. During the leakdown they ran a smoke test to see where the leakage was. All rings. Head checked out OK.

BTW, those are not type 5s. Those are the original 2 (3?) piece metric rims. Quite rare - they were recalled and replaced with the one show on the other M6 in the pic below.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if it ran how would it have a 25% leakdown and still start? Rings that bad? detonation bustes ring lands and stuff, cant see all 6 with busted lands.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy