GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpstops

Default Bumpstops

Ok new Boge shocks are on order and the concern of the bumpstops has come into play. I remember cutting the stock stops but that worries me cause they seem like when cut that short they could possibly mushroom and blow off the shock.

Looked into M5 stops but those are 40 bux each so I dont really want to ginuea pig that subject.

Recommendations? I have the Eibach springs and am only concerned with the front at this time.

Searching here and googling it even makes things more confusing, many many different ideas even leaving them out is talked about (not an option).

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Bilstein bumps at rear, M bumps at front. Of course when you get the M bumps you will probably wish you bought generics, but how else can you find out the length... what a pita you're having. I bet you wish she wasn't so slammed now.

Looks bloody good tho Jeff. nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

are the M stops shorter or just firmer?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    are the M stops shorter or just firmer?
    Both I believe. The M5 bump stop is 2.9" long vs 3.5" for other E34 apps. Even shorter ones come with the Sachs kit.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Okay, word is Sachs wont sell the stops seperately, should I just chop the stockers and be done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Both I believe. The M5 bump stop is 2.9" long vs 3.5" for other E34 apps. Even shorter ones come with the Sachs kit.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

bump
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

You gotta cut all of them shorter by 2". or you will have reduced shock travel... and possibly busting the top mounts. With new bumpstops... they will not mushroom... it is so much harder to smash those foam bumpstop than you think.

Ground Control sells what I think are sport-height bump stops (At least I hope so, because I am counting on them & need to place an order on Monday!!) When I place my order I will of course ask about height, so can't be of any help to you as of yet, but am happy to let you know the results of my conversation w/them.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Okay, word is Sachs wont sell the stops seperately, should I just chop the stockers and be done?
    I have a pair of old M5 stops you can have. Or, I can look at them and tell you if chopping them is a good idea.

Edit: just checked, I tossed the old ones (part of my new regimen - do I really want to keep this shite?). If you wish to trim the stops, trim a bit off the upper end. Leave the bellows section alone.
    Last edited by Anthony (M5 in Calgary); 04-21-2006 at 05:23 PM.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by NY535iManual
    Ground Control sells what I think are sport-height bump stops (At least I hope so, because I am counting on them & need to place an order on Monday!!) When I place my order I will of course ask about height, so can't be of any help to you as of yet, but am happy to let you know the results of my conversation w/them.
    Thanks NY535, that would be a good thing for us to document.

I Just went on the first big drive with mine. First bad bump at speed announced the bump stop was 'incorrectly' conceived.

Bilstein need the removed lengths sent back to them- with clear directions on what they need to do with them... one by one using 300lbs of pressure...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast