GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New guy asking for E34 help

Default New guy asking for E34 help

Hi,

This is my first post here . I was wondering if you guys can help me. I want to buy an E34. Basically, I adore this car. But I am the owner of Korean car (for 7 years now) and have no experience in the E34. What type of things should I be checking for? What specific things should I avoid? I am concerned about the fuel consumption; can a good E34 reach 180 KM/20 litters (normal driving)?

Also, it is really hot here at Jordan at summer . Is the A/C system efficient and how good is it compared to other models?

Please note that at Jordan we have only one BMW authorized dealer/workshop, and the pricing and services are bad. I want something that can be fixed easily and with low cost.

Sorry for the questions, but I couldn't find any place that people will me but here! Many thanks in advance guys.

if you dont work on your own car than you should pass on the E34. There are no easy fixes if you take the car in, VERY expensive. These cars require periodic maintenance and suspension seems to be high on the list.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

read around this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Knight
    Please note that at Jordan we have only one BMW authorized dealer/workshop, and the pricing and services are bad. I want something that can be fixed easily and with low cost.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The e34 is a wonderful car. aside from some expensive parts that seem to fail like clockwork, it is extrememll reliable.

Most of the failures seem to be suspension related, it will also tend to go through tires a bit faster than regular sedan, but if you get stock 15" wheel's, the tires are very cheap.

6 cylinder engines are a tad more reliable, but much cheaper to service. The V8 is a very nice peformer and reliable, but can get very expensive to maintain quite easily.

Some of the smaler 6 cylinder engines got reasonably good fuel economy, and decent performance. I would assume Jordan is no differant than any otehr country in terms of finding a good mechanic outside of the dealer. They are user friendly for the competant do it yourselfer considering how complicated they are.

The r12(older e34's) AC system get extremely cold. The ones that came with stock r134a also get respectably cold. I've never heard anyone complaign there ac didn't get cold enough if it was properly filled and not a conversion.

Thanks for the quick response. I have checked an E34 car today(1990, 520), i will give it a test drive tomorrow but i didn't like the fact that the car has been running for more than 336000 KM! According to the list you have sent me this is not good at all!

Laber are cheap at jordan but they are not well trainned! I think i will be looking for something simple (like a standard 520 engin, maybe!). Parts are avilable (second hand imported from germany, bascilly!). Compared to my DAEWOO NUBIRA II - currently GM Oprta, i think they have the same pricing.

I will keep you updated guys before i make any decision, maybe i can take some photos of the E34 i am going to test tomorrow and show it to you so you can help me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    The e34 is a wonderful car. aside from some expensive parts that seem to fail like clockwork, it is extrememll reliable..
    I totally agree...

6 cylinder engines are a tad more reliable, but much cheaper to service. The V8 is a very nice peformer and reliable, but can get very expensive to maintain quite easily.

Some of the smaler 6 cylinder engines got reasonably good fuel economy, and decent performance. I would assume Jordan is no differant than any otehr country in terms of finding a good mechanic outside of the dealer. They are user friendly for the competant do it yourselfer considering how complicated they are.
    There are some good workshops outside of the dealer. I want to get something easy to maintian and has reasonable fuel economy to reduce the cost and to minimize the risk of having major fauiler and repairs.

The r12(older e34's) AC system get extremely cold. The ones that came with stock r134a also get respectably cold. I've never heard anyone complaign there ac didn't get cold enough if it was properly filled and not a conversion
    Thanks for the tip . Temp can get up to 45c at summer which makes it really hot and a perfect environment to test the E34 A/C system (both R12 and R134a)

Default I would imagine E34s are pretty scarce in

Jordan, or that you wouldn't have a large number to choose from. A bad one can be very bad indeed, as you spend $$$$ to bring defered maintenance up-to-date. That said, a good one is very good indeed. I prefer the simplicity of a 5-speed, the auto boxes have some issues over timeand are expensive to replace.

I wouldn't reject a car instantly with 330K km, as long as regular maintenance has been carried out.

Good luck,

John
    1995 525i 5-speed