GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34 headlight aim (screw location??)

Default E34 headlight aim (screw location??)

folks, i want to adjust my headlight up/down aim.

i know this url:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...adjustment.htm

but can someone send me some pictures where the 2 screws are:
    >>
    Adjustment screws location:
    - The screw to move the light up and down is located at the front of the grill.
    - The screw to move the light left and right is located in the engine compartment next to the fender, it is a long piece of white plastic.
    >>

Will look tonight for you when I get home from work.
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    folks, i want to adjust my headlight up/down aim.

i know this url:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...adjustment.htm

but can someone send me some pictures where the 2 screws are:
    >>
    Adjustment screws location:
    - The screw to move the light up and down is located at the front of the grill.
    - The screw to move the light left and right is located in the engine compartment next to the fender, it is a long piece of white plastic.
    >>
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures for you but, the screws you are looking for are located behind the black grille piece surrounding the lights. The only way to access these screws is to remove the grille that extends across the front of your car. After you take this off you will gain access to all of the screws required to remove the black plastic piece. Once that is off the two screws you are looking for are the ones that appear to be holding the light in place. For a better idea of what I am talking about, take a look here

What's funny is, I had to replace my highbeam insert Tuesday night because the glass had holes in it and was holding water. Unfortunately, getting the grille off is not the easiest thing in the world. It took me a little over an hour to pry the thing off, and I only managed to release the grille on the side I intended to work on. I'm sure it doesn't take so long for everyone to remove the grille but I guess it just takes practice. Good luck on adjusting your lights.

-pgrindstaff

Quote Originally Posted by pgrindstaff
    Unfortunately I don't have any pictures for you but, the screws you are looking for are located behind the black grille piece surrounding the lights. The only way to access these screws is to remove the grille that extends across the front of your car. After you take this off you will gain access to all of the screws required to remove the black plastic piece. Once that is off the two screws you are looking for are the ones that appear to be holding the light in place. For a better idea of what I am talking about, take a look here

What's funny is, I had to replace my highbeam insert Tuesday night because the glass had holes in it and was holding water. Unfortunately, getting the grille off is not the easiest thing in the world. It took me a little over an hour to pry the thing off, and I only managed to release the grille on the side I intended to work on. I'm sure it doesn't take so long for everyone to remove the grille but I guess it just takes practice. Good luck on adjusting your lights.

-pgrindstaff
    Umm...you dont need to remove your grill to adjust your headlights. Simply stick a screwdriver through thr grill from the front, after shining a lfashlight around to determine where the screws are. There is absolutely no reason to remove your grill.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

thanks. look fwd to the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob
    Will look tonight for you when I get home from work.

Let me 'steal' your signature for a moment...

There are two holes at that location on both sides. Shine a light and you'll see them. That will adjust your vertical aim.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Sorry for the bad advise, didn'e ever notice you could access the screws without taking anything apart.

being in the tropics, mine is a bit rusted - could not see
    clearly enough.

1. what kind of screwdriver should i use - flat/phillips and size ?

2. the higher hole is for aiming higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Qube

There are two holes at that location on both sides. Shine a light and you'll see them. That will adjust your vertical aim.

i manage to adjust the aim of my low beam headlight based upon these instructions.

however yesterday i discover that the screw for right hand light is "loose" ie not "gripping - i can keep turning it clockwise (to lower the aim) but it never tightens or hit a deadstop - it is as if the screw thread is worn off.

can someone tell me how to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by Qube

you need a new screw,
    Headlight Adjuster Screw
    Part # : 63 12 1 378 368 $ 4.95
    http://www.bavauto.com//assets/produ...3121378368.jpg
    Last edited by shogun; 09-03-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast