GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: big big problem can any one help

Default big big problem can any one help

i was driving the car on monday . all of a sudden the board lit up like a xmas tree abs trans program check engine etc.limped home and the battery would not turn the car over. replaced battery. everything was fine . tonight the car radio went dead then the rpm guage and the same thing abs light first then brake fluid then check engine. this time car kept running but when i got home would not start(this time no trans program message)any ideas gang sure would appreciate the help

Hmmm - does the battery still hold a charge? If not, your altenator might be shot.
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!

Default hmmm dont know

so would the battery be dead now orrr take the battery out and have it checked orrrrr what

it doesnt even make the turn over sound just nothing but some lights still work but no radio

it sounds like low voltage. If the new battery worked for awhile, maybe the alternator is not functioning properly.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Yeah, that's my guess. Which brings me to the point - what are the optimal output values for the altenator? I think mine has had it too.
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!

The following are the detail figures I use for my own evaluation:
    With key out of ignition switch, should see 12.4V or above. 12.0 V is getting low.
    With key inserted and turned to position 2 (don't start car), should see 12.0V or more. 11.6V would be too low.
    Crank car, catch the lowest voltage reading during that couple of seconds. Should see 10.0V or above. 9.5V would be marginal.
    The above just consider the health of battery itself.
    Car running at 1500 RPM or more, should see 13.7 to 14.3V, 13.6V or below means the charging system is weak.

sounds to me like your battery may be shot- I know the e39 likes to act goofy just before the battery goes.

i just put in a new battery two days ago for 90 bucks. i will check it however and the alternator also. any other ideas ????

Default Looks like you're

running off the battery, check the alt (loose belt -wires etc) and your ground wires.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast