GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Can Anti-Sieze Compound Bugger A CPS??

Default Can Anti-Sieze Compound Bugger A CPS??

Been having some cold start / warm up / ignition crapping out issues recently.

This morning I was poking around and found some anti-sieze compound on the end of the crank position sensor (from the rebuild). I pulled the CPS, cleaned it up and replaced. The temp was 10 degrees C. and the engine ran fine. No shut-downs, no CEL illumination.

Could the anti-sieze have caused the hesitation/ignition shut down symtoms I was experiencing? I guess I'll know better when I start it and warm it up on a colder morning.

Somewhat Aside: Is anti-sieze composed of metal?

Sharing my thoughts,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

most of them do! Bet you found the culprit.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Been having some cold start / warm up / ignition crapping out issues recently.

This morning I was poking around and found some anti-sieze compound on the end of the crank position sensor (from the rebuild). I pulled the CPS, cleaned it up and replaced. The temp was 10 degrees C. and the engine ran fine. No shut-downs, no CEL illumination.

Could the anti-sieze have caused the hesitation/ignition shut down symtoms I was experiencing? I guess I'll know better when I start it and warm it up on a colder morning.

Somewhat Aside: Is anti-sieze composed of metal?

Sharing my thoughts,

Dave M

unless you buy one that says "non-metallic", it probably has metal in it. whether or not that has enough metal in it to foul up the operation of the CPS depends on the brand of the stuff. most of em seem to have molybdenum or lithium or graphite, ie, nonpolar substances you wouldn't "think" of causing stuff like that to happen. you may have found your problem, though.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

The bottle doesn't state metalic or non-metalic. I'll do some research and try to find out. Either way, I'll let everyone know if this was the prob.

Thanks,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

I think that any anti-seize compound on the Crank Position Sensor (CPS) is coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that the CPS is an inductive sensor (i.e. it magnetically detects the notches in the steel crank wheel).

All the anti-seize I've ever used looked like it contained particles of copper, which seems to be confirmed by the following link:
    http://www.jameswalker.biz/jwco/prod..._compound.html

Copper isn't magnetic and so the anti-seize shouldn't impair the operation of the CPS.