GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 Headlight options

Default E34 Headlight options

Ok, I'm trying to find out what my options are for replacing my cracked, dim, pitted, water-filled headlights. I am in the unfortunate position of having the US Non-Ellipsoid headlights currently. Here are 2 options I know of:

- Ebay knock-off euro ellipsoids $250
    - Hella euro ellipsoids $500

However, I'm very tempted to go HID, and I've read that the HID option works much better with US ellipsoids than with euro ellipsoids.

So, what are my options for switching to US Ellipsoids? Can I buy just the ellipsoid lens assemblies and put them into my existing housings, or adapt them somehow? Or do I need to find the entire assembly/housing (like you get with a euro setup) somewhere?

If I can just buy the lens units (not just the lens, but the lens + bulb housing) from BMA, they are around $320 for all 4 lights, and then I could go HID as my budget allows. ($400-500 for a 9006 kit)

Thoughts or help? I'd go for the ebay euro kits, but I don't want to get stuck and unable to go HID in the near future.

If you really wanna go the HID way (I was going to do the same, but after a lot of research I decided halogens are still better) visit. www.xenonvalot.com They've got cool eyes for the E34, not DOT approved for use with HIDs though, but they do have a HID kit for it. :P

Why did you decide to stay non-HID? Just curious as to what your research led you to conclude.

either ellipsoids, euro or US, will work fine with HID.

check out www.xenonfactory.com for HID kits.

I have full HID Euro Hella Smoked setup since 2001... I love every minute of it... Money well spent... although high at that time... you guys can do it for about 1/2 of what I paid for back then.

Buy the whole assembly... it is easier... but changing out just the low beams is just as easy... buy unit... not just glass. I prefer to retrofit the US permanent adjustment screw over the euro motorized screw... they can swivel out of position.

Go for it... the light output is incredible with euro set. My HID is H1 mount so I do NOT have to do any modification whatsoever.

lee Guest

Default installation instructions....

Here's some info on installing HID/Xenon lights in US cars:

http://www.bbesound.com/bmw/HIDinstall/index.htm

Default question

So I have a 95 540i, and I have the US ellipsoids, correct? What year and in which models did they start using the ellipsoids in the US?

Just curious...
    If you ever discover that what you're seeing is a play within a play, just slow down, take a deep breath, and hold on for the ride of your life.

-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

All years except 91 and 92 I think.

Hmmm... so the euro ellipsoids will work ok with an HID kit? Looks like I'll be hitting e-bay tonight.

Works awesome... you can literally see for miles down the road... highlight all the street signs as you pass by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast