GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how bad did I mess up? - Follow up......

Default how bad did I mess up? - Follow up......

Ok, first I would like to thank all of you who provided helpful information or kind words... I truly appreciate it.....

As for the some of the others....well thanks for pointing out my error without being to cruel.

As for the one other person, and I am sure we all know who I am speaking about, I am sure that you will get what you have coming in the end...

As for the car, I just heard from the shop, I needed a new water pump, and both serpentine belts. All to the tine of 600.00. I guess it could have been much worse....

Is there anything else that I should have replaced at while its at the shop?

And is there any thing I should be watching out for?

Is there anything that I should keep and eye on over the next mo. or so?

I had planned to have a little paint work done at the start of june. Any recomendations as to delaying or if it runs ok should I count my lucky stars and go forward?

Thanks again to most!

Bill Mann

Maybe I should have made my living repairing cars. There is good money to be made. Water pump, $60? Two belts $20 each? Coolant $15? Done in about 45 minutes for $600?

They have you by the b$lls.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Its a good idea to replace the T-stat any time its been overheated. they will have it out anyway.

also;
    waterpump 135.00
    2 belts 60.00
    coolant 40.00

that leaves 365.00 for labor, which is 4-6 hours depending on the shop. I think the job pays about 2.0 hours, experienced tech can do a proper job in about 1 hour. many aftermarket shops double OE book time. Price sounds like its onthe high end, but not scary high.

Glad it came out okay. I assume the tech looked over the whole engine room for funky looking hoses, etc., and that all passed inspection. You're good to go, I'd say.

do you know how to wrench? $600 is anal rape
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

45 minutes on this engine?! Ha! Let's see if you can keep up this rate all day long... doubt it.

Glad it worked out Bill, do you do any of your own wrenching?

What I would suggest if you dont know or have it documented, all of the hoses are to be replaced periodicly too. This is the waterpump, thermostat, belts and all hoses.

Do you have the service I and II procedure? Changing out the power steering fluid, brake fluid and differential are also in the list of things preventative.

The transmission should get a fresh filter and add the amount that comes out with it (no flushing) and use the proper fluid which should be a debate any week now. This according to Kurt should be done every 30k miles.

since your waterpump took a **** I would guess that the procedures werent followed leading to your failure. I feel the next most important item would be ALL the hoses, this can be done in a couple hours...the small octopus hose behind the intake manifold is kinda challanging but very doable. Mine was very much corroded where it connected to the block and took a while to properly clean.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had an inspection (II I think) done last fall. I didn't pick up the car yet so I don't have an itemized bill to review.

I really don't understand whats the deal with the waterpump, the shop said that it must have been making noise for a while to seize like it did.

I am not really mechanicly inclined, but I do take care of my cars, correct service, oil changes, etc. I also have heard a water pump going before years ago, not in a bmw, but I am sure that there was no odd noises coming from the engine bay before the failure in my car.

I am hoping that there really is no unseen damage, and that I will have years of enjoyment left in the car.

I guess that I need a manual and a set of tools huh? Is this price way out of line?

Any other suggestions as to what I should keep an eye out for?

In the future I will be sure to stop right way, I did get that much out of this...

Bill Mann

well looks like you dodged a bullet...if im not mistaken, the OE waterpump has a plastic part (the name escapes me at the moment) that can crack sometime later on down the road, may want to see if you can get the metal version of it, maybe someone can name this piece???

impellor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast