GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: front componet speakers

Default front componet speakers

well i was going to repalce the speakers in the front. but i am on kinda a low budget and was wondering if i replaced the 5.25" speakers in the kick panels would that shift the Ohms of the whole setup. in other words could i replace that front speaker with a 4 ohm woofer (which i already have) and what would that do to the impedance.

Quote Originally Posted by derick
    well i was going to repalce the speakers in the front...
    Why?

... but i am on kinda a low budget and was wondering if i replaced the 5.25" speakers in the kick panels would that shift the Ohms of the whole setup in other words could i replace that front speaker with a 4 ohm woofer (which i already have) and what would that do to the impedance....
    If you are on a low budget then why destroy the factory system? Fitting speakers with a different impedance will alter the crossover frequency characteristics. As the crossover is designed around the speakers already fitted you will most likely make things worse. What are you trying to achieve? If you want more bass forget about changing the speakers in the kick panels. This is NOT the way to get decent quality low bass at any kind of level and will NEVER compare to a properly designed (even small) subwoofer.

If your car has premium sound ie 5.25"s in the kick panels, mids in the dash and tweeters inside the 'A' pillars then you have a couple of options. If you just want more bass then adding a subwoofer and seperate amp with the speaker box mounted in the trunk firing through the ski-hole will give you more bass. If you want overall better quality sound at greater volume then get a 4 x 50 watt RMS amp and if your head unit has line level preamp outs then use those to feed the amp and remove the booster amp module from the factory amp/crossover and wire the outputs of the external 4 channel amp direct to the factory crossover. Remove everything below 100hz from the 5.25"s (cleans them up immensely) as the sub will take care of everything below that.

Go here... http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ight=crossover

That way you don't have to **** with all the factory speaker wiring, tear your car apart and wind up with something that is likely to sound worse the the original system.
    Unless you have a big budget the factory system with these mods is better than most stuff driving around.
    Last edited by pundit; 04-24-2006 at 03:22 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.