GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help - how bad did I mess up?

Default I need some help - how bad did I mess up?

Ok, Heres the deal....I bought the 540 of my dreams last winter and have put about 8K on the car. Its a 1995 540i 6sp with 70K on it now.

I was taking my kids to daycare this morning when I heard a loud pop from the front end and a bit of a shudder. At that time the battery light and the parking brake light came on and I lost power steering. Shortly there after I saw the temp gauge creep toward the red. I put on the heater full blast and it started to go down to about 3/4. I realize that I should have stopped, but w/ a 4 mo. infant I decided to watch it for the 1-2 miles I would take to get to the shop. Shortly before getting to the shop I got a coolent warning, and once I got to the shop, I watched as the coolent rushed out in a puddle and I had some steaming.

I thought that with the temp out of the red I would be ok to limp in, but now I am not sure.

The shop told me that the water pumped is seized and the serp. belt came off. They ordered the water pump and belt, but they will not show up until the AM.

At this point I am worried sick that I have really messed the motor up.

Does anyone have an idea what the odds are that I have baked the head gaskets or done some other type of real damage? I am not really mechanicly inclined, I did know enough not ro run it in the red, but I didn't realize that the temp gauge going down might not have been accurate.

Please don't beat up on me too bad, I feel bad enought as it is......but if you could let me know what the prospect might be I would appreciate it...

Bill Mann

Default WOW - Did you ever %$*@#!!! up....

Shortly there after I saw the temp gauge creep toward the red. I put on the heater full blast and it started to go down to about 3/4. I realize that I should have stopped, but w/ a 4 mo. infant I decided to watch it for the 1-2 miles I would take to get to the shop. Shortly before getting to the shop I got a coolent warning, and once I got to the shop, I watched as the coolent rushed out in a puddle and I had some steaming.---------

Time to start shopping.

Bill if it didnt go into the red i would say that you will be ok.I am sure that most of us will understand why you took the risk to get to the shop.I would probably have done the same.I once drove to the dealer and back with a split hose with the cap off the radiator.
    Gone but not forgotten

Anything out of me would be speculation. Your serpentine belt went. You should have stopped then when you lost power steering. No one would need to speculate now.

Let the shop put the water pump back, install the s-belt and fill coolant. You may be lucky this time.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

I managed to limp mine about 15 miles.... without blowing a gasket.. just being carefull with it...
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

I think you'll be OK...

I had something like this 6 weeks ago - on my water pump the shaft sheared inside the pump, with the result that the water pump pulley became loose (wobbled from side to side). The loosening threw off the serpentine belt.

First thing I knew was the dashboard lighting up like Apollo 13 - no power steering, or battery charging. I too had just a couple of miles to get back home. Then I lost the brake boost (I guess the brake "bomb" was flat). Finally the temperature light came on + gauge was in the red just as I got home!

I had the water pump and belt changed (+ thermostat while at it) and no problems so far (done a few hundred miles) so fingers crossed you'll be Ok too...

You made the right decision. Don't worry for no reason though... let them fix it and give it a thorough inspection... you'll probably be fine.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

I did the same thing you did when my water pump died, it tossed the belt, had all the same symptoms. I limped about 5 miles watching guage, never went to red but got real close...replaced pump and everything was fine. You should be OK.

Temperature sensor is located on the engine... not on the radiator. So as long the engine never redlined I think you will be okay too. It would look horrific in the end, but I think everything will be alright.

In the olden days, they used to say that if the engine didn't lose power, you'll be okay. I hope that still applies. I suffered a catastrophic loss of coolant about 18 months ago, gauge went all the way into the red, but got it stopped within about a minute and a half - car is still running strong. Hope you are as lucky. Good luck.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast