GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Tower Cap and Washer Diameter - Am I CRAZY?

Default Front Tower Cap and Washer Diameter - Am I CRAZY?

I went on the TMS site today to order up bilstein/H&R package. When ordering, you need to specify the diameter of the bearing nut and cap. The only choices in the pull down menu are 1 1/8" and 2.5" for the dust cap cover, and 19 and 22mm for the bearing nut.

I walk out to the car, with my caliper, and find that the diameter of my dustcap is 3", and the nut is 18mm. On the phone, TMS confirmed that the measurements above are really the only options. My question to you guys: What gives? Am I measuring the right things here? The washer diameter is 2.5", so maybe they're referring to the internal diameter of the dustcap? Have any of you come across this before, or has my fast-becoming-legendary PO once again broken new ground?

Armando

Default Clarification

To clarify, I am asking if anyone has come across an 18mm nut, which based on searches does not seem to be the case...

the smaller is generally on the older cars, the nut size signifies the bearing hole size for the strut. I think you need to get the 19mm strut inserts but I wouldnt bet my life on it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The cap is the inside diameter cap... so most likely you have the 2.5" one... now for using caliper on the nut... it is never right unless you go diagonaly touching two of the 6 points of the nut... not the middle flat part. So it is much easier to find the socket that fits.

You have the 19mm/1 1/8" combo. As Tiger said, drop a 19mm on it and watch the magic

Jeff, my 91 has the 22mm combo. I assumed older cars the larger ??

Anyhow,

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 04-21-2006 at 02:06 PM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

the id for the dustcap is 3" on my car and I have the 22mm nut, didnt measure it just remember its a 22.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Thanks All, but especially Tiger...

who nailed it! There I was, trying to be smart using caliper when the easy socket-check was the way to go. Thanks to all for catching my massive brain fade - I've called every single Bilstein distributor I could think of in the last couple of hours trying to figure out what was going on!

We are so smrt

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Question - why does it matter? If the diameter of the strut nut connector is the same, etc etc.. What is the difference between 19 and 22MM nuts?

-Artem

the size if the shaft that goes through the top strut bearing. The bilstein sports have a spacer so it will fit in both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Question - why does it matter? If the diameter of the strut nut connector is the same, etc etc.. What is the difference between 19 and 22MM nuts?

-Artem
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast