GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Crank Pulley Securing Bar - How to make?

Default Crank Pulley Securing Bar - How to make?

I broke my timing chain plastic guide while replacing my headgasket. Any tips on how to break the 317 ft/lb of tourqe nut loose on the crankshaft damper? I have a price of $47 for the tool. Wondering if there is another option, quick that is.

if the oil pan is off, a good sized block of wood between the block and a counterweight of the crank, i've seen the factory m30 holders twisted into pretzels, m20's aint that bad, i wouldn't try a m30 without a 3/4 drive breaker bar they eat 1/2" craftsman bars, the harbor freight 3/4 bar is good and cheep
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Unfortunately the pan is not off. God help me if I ever need to take it off. Would an impact wrench work? Maybe I could fit one in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    if the oil pan is off, a good sized block of wood between the block and a counterweight of the crank, i've seen the factory m30 holders twisted into pretzels, m20's aint that bad, i wouldn't try a m30 without a 3/4 drive breaker bar they eat 1/2" craftsman bars, the harbor freight 3/4 bar is good and cheep

i really doubt it would work, i have a 3/4 impact that doesn't always get em , i would bet a 1/2 would even touch it, i've been known to put the breaker bar against the frame and bump the starter, it you try this, tripple check the dirrection of the threads so that you are not tightening it, installing it is less of a pain, get somebody to jam the flywheel with a pry bar
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Welcome to the club. m=>

You need a heavy-duty tool like this

http://www.geocities.com/frothlikn/classic_tan2.html

It's 130 bucks.

i've seen those wound up like a spring

Default Might work with an impact...

wrech with a breaker bar...not!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I just asked Bill R this question last week, he said...

That he used the BMW crank holding tool, a 3/4" breaker bar, and an eight foot cheater pipe. He said that it was one of the hardest nuts out there to break loose. That's probably not a lot of help, but it helps you realize what you're up against.

Grace and peace,

Robert K

Just incase your wondering...to calculate the amount force required to brake a bolt loose that is torqued to 317ft/lb...divide it by the length of your lever arm. IOW. 317ft/lbs divided by 8 ft (breaker bar) would require about 40 lbs of force at the outer edge. So how strong are you? The length of your breaker bar will be directly proportional to your strength. If you can get your weight behind it, then you can help reduce the length of your lever arm. Keep-in-mind, that the initial brake force required to loosen the bolt may be more than the torque required to tighten it. Good luck and let us know how it goes...
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

Default I used the same method as he did...

and didn't have any problems though it was a lot tougher breaking the nut loose because I had a 5 ft cheater pipe. Just applied alot of muscle. The crank holding tool weathered the job just fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    That he used the BMW crank holding tool, a 3/4" breaker bar, and an eight foot cheater pipe. He said that it was one of the hardest nuts out there to break loose. That's probably not a lot of help, but it helps you realize what you're up against.

Grace and peace,

Robert K