GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's better, dunlop sp sport 5000 vs. yoko avs db s2

Default what's better, dunlop sp sport 5000 vs. yoko avs db s2

i am looking at these two tires, but i am also open to suggestions.
    i have factory rims, 225/60/15
    thanks

Default I think they are both good tires but...

the general consensus on this board as far as which is the better tire of the 2 is the Yoko tire. The Yoko AVS db is in the same class as the Yoko A550H which preceeded the AVS. The A550H was rated slightly better (maybe by a hair) than AVS by consumer reports and to quote the Duke "I'd hate to live with the difference."

I wanted to buy the Dunlops SP 5000 Asymmetrical but were too expensive. I guess I wouldn't have cared for the noise so many complain about. Just a few hours ago I received a wheel package at my house with 17" BBS style wheels and Falken ZIEX 512 235/45 tires. Consumer reports rated this tire as the #1 tire in it's category. I wasn't particularly looking for this tire but got a good deal as part of the packag. Hopefully, I'll have some picks to show in a few days. The tire is just perrrrrfect--not too aggressive-looking and not too meek-looking either.

Default The reviews on both I saw said they wear out quickly

So I bought BF Goodrich Traction TAs with 60K warranty. 225/60/15

They seem to ride OK but I've only run them for a week.

Default did you get the h or v rated ver. & how well is cornering???

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch
    So I bought BF Goodrich Traction TAs with 60K warranty. 225/60/15

They seem to ride OK but I've only run them for a week.

Default I got the v rated. They corner very well.

But the last pair of Dunlops I had are what I'm comparing to. I cannot say how they'd corner in comparison to the Yokos. I'm also not an aggressive driver.
    The Traction TAs are supposed to be very good in the rain. But I haven't been able to test them yet cuz it hasn't rained in the past week. The Dunlops were horrible on wet roads.
    I've had BF Goodrich radial TAs in the past and liked them. The Traction TAs are the next generation.

One downside about some BF Goodrich tires (not all of them) is that they are notorious for tread separation between the sidewall and the edge treads even though they have about 2/32 to 3/32 of tread left. Perhaps poor design of the belts at load. I've had 2 sets of all season high peformance BFG tires and both had tread separation. Although I don't recommend this, I usually wear the tread down until they are almost like slicks. Other tires I've own with a similar tread pattern wear have been Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli which did not show this type of failure. Right now I have Pirellis 6000 Sport Veloce which are about to be changed. I'm also not an aggressive driver. As I have been told by few tire suppliers before, warranty goes out the window when you are an aggressive driver. As you have asked, the load index/speed rating has a lot to do with the reliability of a tire, of course, Z rating being the best and more expensive. Just keep asking around, check CRs if the you have the time and go to tirerack.com for tire reviews.

Default Correction: the BFG tires I had were performance all-season tires, not high...

performance but the experience I had was enough to steer away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    One downside about some BF Goodrich tires (not all of them) is that they are notorious for tread separation between the sidewall and the edge treads even though they have about 2/32 to 3/32 of tread left. Perhaps poor design of the belts at load. I've had 2 sets of all season high peformance BFG tires and both had tread separation. Although I don't recommend this, I usually wear the tread down until they are almost like slicks. Other tires I've own with a similar tread pattern wear have been Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirelli which did not show this type of failure. Right now I have Pirellis 6000 Sport Veloce which are about to be changed. I'm also not an aggressive driver. As I have been told by few tire suppliers before, warranty goes out the window when you are an aggressive driver. As you have asked, the load index/speed rating has a lot to do with the reliability of a tire, of course, Z rating being the best and more expensive. Just keep asking around, check CRs if the you have the time and go to tirerack.com for tire reviews.

Default anyone try firehawk sz50 ep's, z-rated

tirerack wants 107+shipping, my local dealer want 117+tax mounted. i know this seams to be a good price & the reviews look good, but how will they do on my 1995 540i/a 255/60/15.

I've got yoko avs550 db - w rated, in that size. Very happy, lots of dry grip which is what I was after. I drive on the track whenever possible, have yet to try these on the track. They are a quite tire, I also find them a firm ride compared to my last tires ( yoko A539 - I was disapointed with those ).
    Good luck - in the Aust' market there is very little to choose from at a reasonable price. A performance Michelin for us is over double the price of the yoko - if this is not the case for you, I would try the Michelins - from past experience on big bad Mercs - Michelins are fantastic on big german nasties - like ze e34, yah ?
    Stacy Au
    535i 5 speed '88
    Track pack = camber plates/king springs/m5 Nurb' sways/17"bbs 3pcRS e34 spec/chip.

Default Kumho KH-11

I recently did a set of Kumho KH-11. They are VR rated, are a great deal and I really have no surprises. The tires ride well, are quiet and seem to handle just as good as the SP5000's I had on there before.

Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast