GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Automatic Transmission

Default Automatic Transmission

I just purchased a beautiful '92 525i with an automatic transmission that needs replacing. Is it possible to do this without a lift? Are there any problems people have run into before? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it's possible to do it without a lift.

Be sure to remove the torque converter with the transmission -- don't pull the trans off of the engine without undoing those bolts unless you want a face full of ATF.

Then there's the refilling procedure, but I'm sure you'll figure that out.

best, whit

Default bolt trouble

another question. I was removing the bolts from the bell housing and i came across a stripped torx. I tried getting it out with a bolt out, but once the rust was off i don't have one small enough. im just wondering if there are any other ways to get it out

Get the next bigger torx on it... and bang it in good... Other than that you can drill the head off and once the tranny is out, you can grab the stud.

Third option is using easy out but the torque needed to remove it would make it hard to use... this is used on stripped screws.

We're talking about an inverted torx bolt, not a regular torx. Sticking the next bigger torx on it wouldn't do anything -- the socket would spin. Like putting 18mm hex on a rounded out 17mm M10 -- just doesn't work.

I would use a little heat. Depending on where it is and how accessible, vice grips will get it out with relative ease.

Are you using actual inverted torx sockets, or something like an equivalent metric hex? The bolts can often *look* stripped, but a little perserverence will get a socket on there with good grip. There's a reason why torx are called torx

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 04-22-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Beat on the face of the bolt with a hard steel hammer(the flat face of a ball peen is best). this will do 2 things; often hammering straight into a bolt will loosen it. the other is it will mushroom the torx and allow you to hammer the socket back on for a "snug" fit. you can use this same method on standard torx and allen socket screws to fo a tighter fit.

use hard fast short strikes without follow through, you trying to peen the metal and loosen the bolt, not drive a nail.

I had a similar problem last year. Finally ended up to get the engine out connected with the trans, that was easiest.