GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Clicking from rear when I turn right, even slightly.

Default Clicking from rear when I turn right, even slightly.

So is that clicking most likely a cv joint? If so is it the right side if it clicks when I turn right? Also does anyone know where to get them, I can;t seem to find them online anywhere. Any help would be awesome.

No CV joints on your car. Can you feel in in the steering wheel or break pedal? Does the tick speed up with wheel speed or engine speed? Does it go away when you hit the brake?

Could be a brake pad clicking on a high spot on a rotor, or many other things.

If it's not a solid rear axle how else would it pivot? I am getting the smell occasionaly of burning brakes. The clicking does increase with wheel rotation speed.

Ok, perhaps I over simplified, my apologies. The clicking sound associated with CV joints is on front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive vehicle that use a front CV joint. Not all FWD or 4WD vehicles use CV joints.

The clicking sound comes from the joint loosening up with wear allowing the inner drive and the outer cup to bind over the balls that connect them when you turn the wheel. Since BMW rear axles never experience this kind of extreme turning, the don't click but rather make a distinctive vibration.

I would look at the brakes, since you stated the noise occurs while turning, I am betting on the front brakes. Possibly a sticky caliper if you are getting a burning smell and the click is comeing from the pad riding over a hot spot onthe rotor.

Good luck

Edit: sorry, I just looked closer at your topic heading, (still need more coffee)
    maybe the rear E-brake shoes, they tend to fall apart from dis-use and can cause noise and burning smell
    Last edited by joshua43214; 04-19-2006 at 07:16 AM.

Thank's for the help.

You may or may not be experiencing CV noise, but BMW's DO have CV joints and they DO click.
    I've had success in removing halfshaft and flipping it end for end and re-installing. Flipping end for end allows the surfaces that formerly transmitted the relative light coasting loads to carry the heavier acceleration loads. This has solved CV noise issues in both my E34's.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Island530i
    Thank's for the help.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default My clicking was due to parking brake actuator

I had a clicking on my rear wheel which increased with increasing wheel speed. The sound was caused by contact between the parking brake actuator and the brake rotor. Cleaned the rust and lubricated the parking brake actuator which allowed the parking brake actuator to retract and the clicking has gone away for 6 months now.
    Michael Feeney
    91 and 95 525i

Dude - our cars have CV joints...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Dude - our cars have CV joints...
    Ya, I know, My mind just kinda went into front wheel drive mode when I heard CV joint. Ours are a bit different than a standard FWD CV joint, but still use the multi ball set up. I have never associated any clicking noise with rear axle CV joints, but others seem to have, I have always noticed a very distinctive vibration when they wear out. I kinda corrected myself above, but I geusse I wasn't clear enough on it =)