GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: topped coolant and guess what

Default topped coolant and guess what

that ****ing annoying coolant error comes on when i turn the car off, but if you jump in the car after a couple of minutes it has gone away. Far out i thought i fixed that. when i topped up the coolant i opened the bleed screw did i do bad (as i thought you were meant to). Is there something i can do to fix this or is this just one of those mysteries of the universe that nobody has an answer for

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default Check the plug

I had the same thing with my oil level sender.

Just needed to clean it up and fix it.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

the coolant lvl sensor frequently fails as well.

how do you test the coolant sensor? continuity means float up or float down?.... i've been stuffing around with it a fair bit (bleeding topping up as detailed in bentley) and its likely that the coolant sensor has had it. but otherwise my cooling system is functioning well, car runs steady at operating temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    the coolant lvl sensor frequently fails as well.
    I always get the "check coolent level" warning after I turn off the motor. It looks as though the level is perfect, right on the line so it must be a sensor malfunction. How much does it cost to be replaced?
    [2004 BMW 330i 225HP Sports Package, Steptronic Trans, Xenon Adaptive Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Speeder 553
    I always get the "check coolent level" warning after I turn off the motor. It looks as though the level is perfect, right on the line so it must be a sensor malfunction. How much does it cost to be replaced?
    $37.45 from bimmerparts: Coolant Level Sensor
    Sometimes just pulling them and cleaning them works, and sometimes they will be corroded enough to have to replace.
    All in all it's a pretty common thing.

they fail in any number of ways; the float gets stuck, the terminals corrode off, the wires inside fail. I just keep a spare in my tool box for testing rather than bothering with any proceedure.

I don't remember if the light comes on with open or closed circuit. Just start the car and unplug it ad see what happens, the bridge the terminals and see what happens. Should be easy enough to figure out what causes the light to xome on and proceed from there.

thanks joshua, yeah i guess i'll just have to stuff around a bit...... i am actually getting used to spending time with my car on the weekend, its like the crying child i don't have yet! still i drove a Ford BA Falcon today, bloody fast in a straight line but what a piece of poo around corners! i like my 15 year old bmw over a 3 year old ford
    still i reckon BMW should make a Big Six again, ford's got a 4.0L straight 6 in aust. with DOHC. its the type of engine BMW should have replaced the M30B35 with! (the ford's got a 6 speed auto ZF box too!)