GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Any input on older Mercedes

Default OT - Any input on older Mercedes

Going to look at a 1967 230 SE and wanted to know if someone might have any insight. Original owner 120k miles orignal paint. Owner says car was stored for periods of time. Said engine is very clean, interior excellent condition. Very well taken care of. Original California car.
    Asking $4500

Input, opinions, information appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kurt
    95 525ia

Beautiful car. Sounds suspiciously inexpensive. If the car's a bucket, it'll ruin you.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

From experience, my father owns a 1971 250c which in theory should be worth way more than the car your going to look at, as it has less than 90000 miles and a complete repaint in 1990's sometime with original Mercedes paint and a "correct" german apllication setup. His was an original California car with almost no rust and he got it from a family estate that couldn't give it away.
    That said "he'll never get $2500 for the car". Vacuum controls are a nightmare and the standard Mercedes switches of that vintage tend to deteriorate internally and are exorbitantly expensive.
    Now, for the good news, they are tanks. Heavy body panels, heavy suspensions etc. put together with German quality. They can last forever, with 4 snow tires they are almost unstoppable in bad weather. Hopefully this car doesn't have AC as that was a dealer add on in the states in 1967. (you would be lucky to find parts if you could find anyone to work on it)
    Parts are available albiet expensive. Easy to work on, rubber seems to last a very long time. (I am referring to gaskets and boots not tires) They had very sophisticated electronics for the time with poor implementation in my opinion. They are a very good ride for their time and pretty durable.
    Offer him $2000 and let him stew awhile after he refuses. He just might call you back later.

Scott

Buy it for $2500 and put in German Ebay with lots of detailed pics. They all rusted away in Eupean climates and the few that are left are worth good dollars - about $6000 for something really clean and straight.

Lovely old bus though compared to the junk MB make today. Old Mercs are so special - Fintails, W114/5 Coupes, 107 SL and SLC's and the W126 SEC Coupe.

Where did they go wrong?

those old MB's had their own unique design philosophy. Ever see a car with power seats run by vacuum? Some how MB decided that electronics where not to be trusted and ran virtualy every power option off of vacuum.

Those are cult cars these days, very cool cars though. I prefer the 116 body that was implemented later, Drove a 450sel for a few years and loved it. Almost no one has any clue how to work on the older MB's. So be prepared to learn a whole method of car design or pay good money for repairs.

If it has the chrysler AC system in it, you going to be hurting if it needs repaired, I'm not sure any one is rebuilding that servo any more. There was a guy here in columbus that specialized in restoring those old MB's, I worked for his brother as a MB tech for a while. you could go out there and see old 190sl's tiped over on their sides on a special rig he had built for replacing the floor pans.

Good luck and be bold =)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventhirty
    Buy it for $2500 and put in German Ebay with lots of detailed pics. They all rusted away in Eupean climates and the few that are left are worth good dollars - about $6000 for something really clean and straight.

Lovely old bus though compared to the junk MB make today. Old Mercs are so special - Fintails, W114/5 Coupes, 107 SL and SLC's and the W126 SEC Coupe.

Where did they go wrong?
    This is true. I absolutely love the Mercedes Benz 560 sec's. Something about them just screams 12 kilos of coke in the trunk with a pimp starring on an episode of Miami Vice. I love the 560sec's with the factory AMG bodykit.

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530
    This is true. I absolutely love the Mercedes Benz 560 sec's. Something about them just screams 12 kilos of coke in the trunk with a pimp starring on an episode of Miami Vice. I love the 560sec's with the factory AMG bodykit.
    Liquidtiger's family just aquired a nice one a few months ago. Maybe he'll post it up.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by SC David
    Liquidtiger's family just aquired a nice one a few months ago. Maybe he'll post it up.
    I think I saw a pic. of it once. It's red right??

Gotta have blacked out windows and flags flying off the front - like some kind of diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

MB is the ENEMY guys!!! Direct competition to the 'Roundel'...

We should be suggesting he drops it off a cliff or torches it!!

Jokes...

Finnie 220s and 230s are a beautiful unit... And tough as old boots!! Watch the rear axle (ie diff) They are a bizarre setup, and not that tough anymore.

Whilst on the subject of Mercs...

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast