GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M-tech 1 or M-tech 2 Steering wheel

I vote top right, M T II. Looks a bit more modern, the top left would better fit an E28 or E30. Lower left, looks like a good candidate for a frisbee or dog chew toy.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

I just put a MTech II on a couple of weeks ago - and it is a fantastic change in the sensation of control: Obviously, the car handles no differently - but you can't convince the driver of that!

A couple of cautions:

- if your car is an airbag model, the white plastic push-pin in the steering hub that engages the air bag clock spring in the wheel MUST be removed ... otherwise, the new wheel will not turn more than 15 deg.

- You will need a washer stack of ~15mm and 22mm id to place under the wheel locknut: otherwise, the wheel will not torque down and/or the splines may be damaged.

- The M-Tech II is too close to the column stalks for my liking! There is more than one flavour of this wheel, and mine happens to be the smaller 368mm diameter: it has 25mm less dish than the stock wheel, so finger space is at a premium. To improve this,
    a) the back side of the wheel can be spaced out another 10mm max ( before running out of splines); however, to do this, the push pin for the horn must be lengthened as well as the tab that cancels the turn signals. Or, ....
    b) Dismount the column levers and bend them back without destroying them .... any bright ideas appreciated on how to accomplish this
    c) I purchased a spare set of column switches from a E34 M5 ... and they have ~ 10-12mm less forward bend than the orriginals.

I plan to install these switches soon ('c'), and then do 'a' if there is not enough room.

BTW - if you're tall, the fat rim covers the important part of the speedo .... but who cares ..

Quote Originally Posted by GS535i
    - The M-Tech II is too close to the column stalks for my liking! There is more than one flavour of this wheel, and mine happens to be the smaller 368mm diameter: it has 25mm less dish than the stock wheel, so finger space is at a premium.
    yours is like this because you have the wrong wheel for the E34, yours is for the E36, which has a smaller diameter wheel, thats why your speedo is obstructed.
    the version for the E34 is almost identical except its got a bigger diameter and the spokes have a slightly different pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Felixdacat
    Not going to put in the Grant wheel. I was on ebay, and there is a M-tech 1, and 2 f/s. Both are going for about $40 each with 23hours left. Any negs about these?
    Note that the M-Tech 2 you have pictured will NOT fit your early build E34. It has the "down sloping" spokes as opposed to horizontal ones. This indicates that it is the E36 fitment. The E36 hub spokes only are compatible with 91 (I believe) and later E34s. 88,89,90 E34s use the same wheels as E30/E28.

I have an M-Tech II in my car. Still my favorite steering wheel in ANY car I've driven including the ultra cool late E36 M 3-spoke airbag wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by wingman
    Do you mean the top right hand side? If so I have to disagree. I think the top left is a better looking wheel.
    I think if you widen your 'forum window' then all three pictures will appear in a (top only) horizontal row
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

Quote Originally Posted by cschollum
    yours is like this because you have the wrong wheel for the E34, yours is for the E36, which has a smaller diameter wheel, thats why your speedo is obstructed.
    the version for the E34 is almost identical except its got a bigger diameter and the spokes have a slightly different pattern
    .... that may be, but as Alan has noted in the post below, the E36 wheel will not mate to the early E34 steering shaft splines. The MTech II I fitted mates perfectly with the retaining nut/ splined shaft of a 1990: The later E34s and E36s use a 17mm bolt attachment with a differing spline size, or so I thought.

I want an Mtech II so bad. I'm tired of driving a bus.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by GS535i
    .... that may be, but as Alan has noted in the post below, the E36 wheel will not mate to the early E34 steering shaft splines. The MTech II I fitted mates perfectly with the retaining nut/ splined shaft of a 1990: The later E34s and E36s use a 17mm bolt attachment with a differing spline size, or so I thought.
    Just to reinforce what GS535i said, I too noticed how close the wheel sat to the control stalks. (I think we actually had this discussion a couple weeks ago.) I got used to it after a few weeks. Some people might not. I actually like it as I can poke the levers (for turnsignals or a single wiper run or flash my highs) while my hand is rested on the spoke. I'm very interested to hear about the M5 control stalks not coming out as far. Never knew there was a difference. At least I know I have a remedy if my fingers get bigger!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12