GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: just bought a used 328ic (99). Advice sought!!

Default just bought a used 328ic (99). Advice sought!!

Hello all: (I just tried to post this, but apparently failed. If this is the second time, I apologize).

I'm a new BMW owner (or rather a new owner of a used BMW). Truth be told, I'm a first-time car owner. I have long prided myself on my intimate knowledge of SF busroutes and bikepaths, but I'm going to be moving to San Diego, where, unfortunately, the public transportation just doesn't allow me the freedom of a car-free life. A good friend of mine was leaving the country and offered me for a great deal his 99 328ic with only 25K miles on it. It's not exactly a hybrid, but how could I refuse a convertible in San Diego?

The problem is that everyone I speak with warns me that while BMW's are nice to drive, they're outrageously expensive to own. His service records support their views. When his battery died, he had brought it in to the dealership, where they ran an $800 inspection and concluded that he simply needed to recharge his battery! I've also read on many of these forums that I should budget a few thousand a year for maintenance. is this true??? even for a car with such low mileage? I'm not a rich person, and If I'm so worried that any trip to the mechanic will put me in the poor house, I'll never enjoy this automobile!

To make matters worse, I've only owned the car a couple days now, and already the warning lights are flashing at me, (check brakes, check brake light). Actually, they were flashing before I bought the car, but as I had to make a decision in a hurry, I never really had a chance to get it properly checked out. I did run a CarFax and nothing major popped up, but the front bumper is a bit pushed in from what appears to be a small collision, so it probably would be a good idea to have the alignment checked, and, I'm sure, the brakes (and likely the rotors)need to be replaced. While he did not drive the car a lot, he did seem to drive it aggressively. (imagine that...)

So, in short, if anyone can provide me with the name of a very good trustworthy BMW-knowledgeable mechanic in the SF Bay Area, and/or in San Diego where I'll be moving shortly, I'd really appreciate.

Or, if not, a shrink who can help me find solace in my decision... Also, is it worth joining the BMW Car Club of America? (I may need that $40 membership fee to eat!)

Finally, I know what the blue book value is of this car, but the question is: are they pretty easy to sell for around that amount? (I hope it doesn't come to that, but it would help to know).

Thanks much. I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Ted

Check here http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/17653

Also buy a good repair manual, such as the Bentley Repair Manual. See for example www.bavauto.com