GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor rebuild pics and some questions

Default Motor rebuild pics and some questions

Got around to pulling the crank out today and everything looks good

All bearing surfaces look good.

However, I noticed in the front most cylinder bearing area (the one on the far right in the pic below) does not seem to have a oil squirter where the other cylinders did. I removed only 6 oil squirters from teh engine, though it almost looks like a hole in the first bearing there for an oil squirter... but it doesn't really go thru. This normal or did I drop something?

Additionally, I took the circlip off the post that holds on the longer of the two chain guides...

I didn't use much force at all, but it seems like the post that holds the circlip and guide seems to be bent??? Is this normal? I cannot find any indication of bending on the guide - this is afterall just the timing chain guide, there cannot be THAT much pressure to bend a rod like that.. what's the deal?

pop the bearing shell and see where the oil orfices are located.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Hey is there an Idiots Guide to rebuilding the m50? Mine is overdue but I have no clue (hey that rhymes). I feel up to the challenge though, seeing as you fellows are so quick on the ball. If it hadn't ben for you, I would have had to pay some jackass $300 to change my discs, but you lot gave me the confidence to do it myself (change the discs and pads I mean).
    Freude am Fahren - Damn straight!

Heh motor rebuild is a little more detailed than brakes - but thats where i started!

Jon I just noticed that the bearing shells are out. The oil passage is open under the shell so oil pressure is being fer the every orfice under there.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default There's only six of the oil sprayers. Also would you mind taking a

closeup pic of the number 3 main crank throw, next to that rod throw pic you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Heh motor rebuild is a little more detailed than brakes - but thats where i started!
    Last edited by Bill R.; 04-17-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Lookin good Jon.

Got my little M50 rebuild completed. Been drivin around fro a few days now, all looks well.

I'll be posting some final pics when i get a chance.

Keep us 'posted'

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Additionally, I took the circlip off the post that holds on the longer of the two chain guides...

I didn't use much force at all, but it seems like the post that holds the circlip and guide seems to be bent??? Is this normal? I cannot find any indication of bending on the guide - this is afterall just the timing chain guide, there cannot be THAT much pressure to bend a rod like that.. what's the deal?
    Is that work in progress or you already have the problem solved. The timing chain guide hinge is bent. I don't know how you can bend it back. I had the impression it was threaded. You may be able to remove it and get one new.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Wow man. I still am amazed at that engine. And every picture you post makes me wish i didnt sell it more and more. Granted i dont have the money to do what your doing, and im glad its going to a good home and a good cause. I beat the hell out of that engine, and it definately doesnt show the wear of a 212k engine w/ a turbo on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast