GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky suspension and the too-honest mechanic

Default Squeaky suspension and the too-honest mechanic

My car makes a horrible squeaking sound anytime I drive over bumps. It's much more noticeable from the outside of the car rather than the inside, and it sounds like grandma's couch.

My springs and shocks are new.

I posted this problem a few weeks ago and most of the replies I got suggested worn-out sway bar links.

So I took the car to my local independent mechanic, whom I know to be competent, honest and trustworthy. I asked him to identify the cause of the squeak, which I suspected was the sway bar links, and fix it -- whatever it is.

He came back to me and told me that all my suspension components seem fine, and that the squeaking is just because the car is old. He claims there's nothing he can do about it short of replacing everything, and I just have to accept it.

I trust him, but he's not a BMW expert and I'd still like to think the noises can be fixed.

Any thoughts? After I pick up the car tomorrow I'll post some audio clips of the squeak in case that helps. It sounds like your neighbors doing it on an old bed, or like a fat guy sitting on an old sofa. It's embarassing since I know pedestrians can hear it, and makes my car sound neglected, which it isn't. That doesn't seem fair
    Last edited by Jay 535i; 04-17-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Loose collar or strut rod nuts, erring on the strut nuts; difficult to replicate when the car is up in the air as the spring loads the strut insert, mount, and housing. When moving over a bump, the insert rattles around or the top nut rubs against the mount due to quick load changes. One quick and easy way to check the top nut is to walk up to the car and grab the tire at the top, see if exerting force on it will replicate the noise. It took me a half an hour of jumping around in the engine bay to learn that one.

best, whit

Thanks Whit. I almost understood all that

You say "grab the tire". And do what with it, exactly?

I don't really know what a "collar" or "strut rod nut" is. Got a pic, from realoem, maybe?

If you're right, is fixing it as easy as tightening some stuff? Or is it a bigger job than that?

Many thanks for your help, as always.

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Hi Jay, sorry about that...a little disjointed today.

Grab the tire (at the highest point - top) = shake it back and forth, in towards the engine and back out towards you, perpendicular to the forward direction of the car. It might take some manhandling to replicate the noise -- you're having to affect about 1000 pounds.

Collar nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=31&fg=10

#3, which threads on to the strut housing. They tend to bang when loose, not squeak or crunch.

Top nut/strut rod nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...28&hg=31&fg=10

#6, which when loose will cause #5 and #1 to rub against each other.

Yes, it should be as easy as tightening some stuff. I'm suggesting this because I had the exact same problem, with the exact same car, nearly the exact amount of time after installing the kit. And I had already replaced the sway bar links for good measure. And it drove me for about a week before I was able to correctly diagnose it.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 04-17-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Verrrry innaresting. Thank you. I will check that out.

I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the front or rear, or maybe both. Could it be both, or is the back end different?

1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Collar Nut

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Collar nut: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=31&fg=10

#3, which threads on to the strut housing. They tend to bang when loose, not squeak or crunch.
    Whit - thanks for this info for the lurker here - so, if I tighten the collar nut, that should cure a banging on that side when an impact is encountered?

Can this be accessed without removing the spring?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been bugging me.

Mike

yes, jack the car up, place a pipe wrench around the collar nut and turn it, need a pipe on the wrench to get it to turn. You need to really crank this thing to get it tight. No need to remover the wheel/tire as the way the springs sit you can get enough room to tighten but not loosen...in at least my case with the eibach springs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikell
    Whit - thanks for this info for the lurker here - so, if I tighten the collar nut, that should cure a banging on that side when an impact is encountered?

Can this be accessed without removing the spring?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this has been bugging me.

Mike
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The squeaking your hearing is almost always caused by a rubber on metal bushing such

as this one in number 2 here. If you take the bolts out holding those bushings
    (there's 2 of them) and clean the sway bar and the inside of the rubber where it rides on the bar. Then spray them with silicone dri lube spray. You can get it from autozone in the stp brand spray cans. That will lubricate rubber and not harm it. Spray any and all rubber on metal contact areas that you see on the front end and see if it gets rid of the squeak

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    Verrrry innaresting. Thank you. I will check that out.

I'm not sure if the noise is coming from the front or rear, or maybe both. Could it be both, or is the back end different?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    as this one in number 2 here. If you take the bolts out holding those bushings
    (there's 2 of them) and clean the sway bar and the inside of the rubber where it rides on the bar. Then spray them with silicone dri lube spray. You can get it from autozone in the stp brand spray cans. That will lubricate rubber and not harm it. Spray any and all rubber on metal contact areas that you see on the front end and see if it gets rid of the squeak
    is that the sway bar mount? hmmmm i'll have to try that one, i have granny spec squeakiness as well.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default You can try spraying silicone dry lube on any rubber to metal areas such as spring

seats, sway bar bushings etc. This is where most squeaks come from

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    is that the sway bar mount? hmmmm i'll have to try that one, i have granny spec squeakiness as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast