GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheated & Confused

Default Overheated & Confused

I have a '91 535i w/162k miles. It's had a few replacements in the past few months: radiator, water pump, thermostat. The cooling system's also been bled repeatedly and I have no leaks. Nonetheless, I keep overheating but in unsual ways. For example, after not driving it for a couple of days I'll be on the road for 10 minutes when the "check engine" light comes on and the temp gauge is in the red. I'll pull over immediately, wait 20 minutes or so, turn the car back on, and incredibly, the temp gauge will drop to normal and I'll continue on my merry way.

2nd example: recently I drove 70 miles on the highway to visit family. I parked the car for about 15 minutes (I was meeting up with someone) then turned it on again to drive another mile or so (local streets). Within a few minutes my temp gauge was in the red.

Finally, I did the same trip in reverse. The car was fine for about 70 miles (highway), about a few blocks from my house I heated up again.

My mechanic pressure checked the system and it seems to be fine. At this point he thinks it might be a head gasket or even worse, a cracked cylinder. Are these really the only options left for this problem? And if so, does that mean I may need to replace the engine??

I've had the car for about 7 months, so I don't know what kind of treatment (or mistreatment) it's had in the past. Any suggestions? I really enjoy the car and would hate to give it up.

Thanks!!

FWIW, in my time on this board I've seen this issue pop up a lot, and I've had it myself. While the causes vary, they're usually not too costly to fix. The challenge is in finding the problem.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but you'll get some great expert advice here. But if it makes you feel better, it's a common problem with a usually simple solution -- although it will take time and effort to identify the source of the problem.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Did you change the clutch fan? I was having a lot problems with my, and I replace the clutch fan, and it is fix.

is it actually overheating and not just the gauge?????
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jay 535i
    FWIW, in my time on this board I've seen this issue pop up a lot, and I've had it myself. While the causes vary, they're usually not too costly to fix. The challenge is in finding the problem.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but you'll get some great expert advice here. But if it makes you feel better, it's a common problem with a usually simple solution -- although it will take time and effort to identify the source of the problem.
    Thanks Jay, I appreciate that. I'm sure I'll get some useful advice.

Best!

Quote Originally Posted by begeta50
    Did you change the clutch fan? I was having a lot problems with my, and I replace the clutch fan, and it is fix.
    Yes, the clutch fan was changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    is it actually overheating and not just the gauge?????
    When I raise the hood, I can feel the very intense heat which I know is not normal.

have you made sure the overflow tube from rad to expansion tank is clear
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    have you made sure the overflow tube from rad to expansion tank is clear
    No, I haven't checked that personally. But, my mechanic had it for a few days, that's something he should have checked, right? If it is blocked, would it cause it to overheat intermittently?

So how much RTV was used when installing that new water pump and thermostat? Was a gasket even used on the water pump flange?

I love unearthing this bubba stuff.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast