GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Supercharging a E34 540i: questions for you guys!

Default Supercharging a E34 540i: questions for you guys!

First of all, which kit is, in your opinion, the best one?

And which one is the cheapest?

Is there someone here who has already supercharged his 540i? How does the car feel after the mod? How long does it take (approx, for a rather good mechanic) to perform the modification?

What is the 4L V8 std comp ratio? Does it stay reliable enough after having been supercharged?
    Is the remapped chip well tuned or does the engine feel harsh or non running properly after the conversion?

Has anyone already heard about an engine failure after having performed such a conversion?

Oh, and how fast is the car with the supercharger? Is it kicking E39 M5's ass?

Thx for help mates!

Jon

PS: what is the nikasil thing some of you are mentioning about their V8? I know it's a treatment done on cylinders, but does it mean some of you have rebuilt their engines and done the treatment or does it mean BMW have done it in std on SOME engines? If so, which ones?

Sleeper manufacturer:
    - BMW '91 E34: with a euro M3 3L engine!
    - Nissan Sunny GTI-R. Ultimate toy: 532bhp for 1,150kg.

First off Jobi -

Nikesil issue is an isolated United States issue. The components in the metal in the block do not react well with the high-sulfur content of our fuel. Alusil is the block we use to replace nikasil...

As for a M60B40 superchargers there are only a couple available.

Dinan of course has on - I believe its over $8,000. It's vortech vq1 or vq2 based and has no intercooling so it runs 7 or so psi. Dinan tuned so it drives lke a stock car with more power up high. M5 killer? Probably chills with them easily.

ERT used to be around and have a kid for the E34 540i, though they are not around (much?) anymore. Same thing as dinan, Vortech based head unit ~7 psi, I don't think they did a chip tune... they used an FMU (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) with a MAF resistor so you don't over draw the MAF. Good base kit.

ESS tuning offers yet ANOTHER kit... again vortech but using the V2SQ (super quiet... though i disagree that its very quiet). It runs a chip tune with bigger injectors, 7 psi etc etc. Requires a new crank pulley its cnc aluminum. Excellent build quality on the brackets. It also has a recirculation setup and uses a Bosch bypass valve (If you know or don't know, bosch bypass valves are garbage they fail every oh 20k or so). 286 crank horsepower to a little over 400 they are claiming. $6235 US or $5115 EU.

notice they are all using the same vortech head unit with the exception that ESS uses the V2SQ (though dinan may have switched now). They are realistically the same kit from different suppliers. Honestly, I hate dinan and favor the ESS kit. They all claim to install in under 16 hours but I am not sure how they evacuate the oil from teh supercharger back to the pan, so factor some time in there for possibly having to remove the pan and tapping it etc.

There was a guy on Bimmerforums.com, Jimmyz2 who had a E34 540i with a M62 motor and blower swap. Apparently outran M5s like no one's business. The only issue with the vortech setup I can forsee is that because of the design of the unit, the only way to intercool it would be with an inline air to water intercooler, which start out around $1500.... and it'd have to be custom.

Supercharged M60? Yes please. Hmm sisters 530i...hrmm.....

Jon--

Jon K is our resident expert on supercharging--not a 540 but...

Jon K's winning entry to the virtual car show

Many there is something about "Jon" and supercharging.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default The nikasil issue isn't just a US issue, it applied to all of the

countries mentioned below and there were failures reported on the various boards throughout europe wherever there was the possibility of high sulfur gasoline
    Also the compression ratio is 10 to 1 with a special nickel plated flat top piston to transfer knocking quicker to the knock sensors.

quote=Jon K]First off Jobi -

Nikesil issue is an isolated United States issue. The components in the metal in the block do not react well with the high-sulfur content of our fuel. Alusil is the block we use to replace nikasil...

As for a M60B40 superchargers there are only a couple available.

Dinan of course has on - I believe its over $8,000. It's vortech vq1 or vq2 based and has no intercooling so it runs 7 or so psi. Dinan tuned so it drives lke a stock car with more power up high. M5 killer? Probably chills with them easily.

ERT used to be around and have a kid for the E34 540i, though they are not around (much?) anymore. Same thing as dinan, Vortech based head unit ~7 psi, I don't think they did a chip tune... they used an FMU (rising rate fuel pressure regulator) with a MAF resistor so you don't over draw the MAF. Good base kit.

ESS tuning offers yet ANOTHER kit... again vortech but using the V2SQ (super quiet... though i disagree that its very quiet). It runs a chip tune with bigger injectors, 7 psi etc etc. Requires a new crank pulley its cnc aluminum. Excellent build quality on the brackets. It also has a recirculation setup and uses a Bosch bypass valve (If you know or don't know, bosch bypass valves are garbage they fail every oh 20k or so). 286 crank horsepower to a little over 400 they are claiming. $6235 US or $5115 EU.

notice they are all using the same vortech head unit with the exception that ESS uses the V2SQ (though dinan may have switched now). They are realistically the same kit from different suppliers. Honestly, I hate dinan and favor the ESS kit. They all claim to install in under 16 hours but I am not sure how they evacuate the oil from teh supercharger back to the pan, so factor some time in there for possibly having to remove the pan and tapping it etc.

There was a guy on Bimmerforums.com, Jimmyz2 who had a E34 540i with a M62 motor and blower swap. Apparently outran M5s like no one's business. The only issue with the vortech setup I can forsee is that because of the design of the unit, the only way to intercool it would be with an inline air to water intercooler, which start out around $1500.... and it'd have to be custom.

Supercharged M60? Yes please. Hmm sisters 530i...hrmm.....[/quote]
    Last edited by Bill R.; 04-14-2006 at 05:51 AM.

Here's a picture (and list of modifications) of Jimmy's car if you want to see it....http://www.bmw4life.com/galleryImages/jimA/jimAPage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530
    Here's a picture (and list of modifications) of Jimmy's car if you want to see it....http://www.bmw4life.com/galleryImages/jimA/jimAPage.htm
    ahh, whatever happened to jimmy?
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan

3k oil changes | Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMPower
    ahh, whatever happened to jimmy?
    He was banned form Bimmerforums.