GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: e34 not starting, has yellow spark need help.

Default e34 not starting, has yellow spark need help.

I'm experiencing a non starting situation. It cranks over but will not fire up. I'm getting slight hicups. I pulled out one spark plug and cranked my engine. I was getting a slight yellow spark but nothing like it obviously should. I also has a battery charger connected to the car so I know its not a battery problem. Since my spark is so low, I am assuming that my car will not start due to a ignition problem.

Do you guys think a bad Ignition coil could cause this? I tested the coil with a multimeter and my readings are off from the bentley manual. But I've heard much about the Crankshaft position sensor. I know where it is but I have not tested it yet. What are some ways to test the sensor? What is the resistance that should be across this sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

One more thing is, I had a coolant hose burst on me and after that my car would not start. I am thinking maybe the coolant got onto the cps sensor or something like that. Would a bad coil prevent the car from firing? how about a bad cps?

Quote Originally Posted by gmannino
    I'm experiencing a non starting situation. It cranks over but will not fire up. I'm getting slight hicups. I pulled out one spark plug and cranked my engine. I was getting a slight yellow spark but nothing like it obviously should. I also has a battery charger connected to the car so I know its not a battery problem. Since my spark is so low, I am assuming that my car will not start due to a ignition problem.

Do you guys think a bad Ignition coil could cause this? I tested the coil with a multimeter and my readings are off from the bentley manual. But I've heard much about the Crankshaft position sensor. I know where it is but I have not tested it yet. What are some ways to test the sensor? What is the resistance that should be across this sensor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

One more thing is, I had a coolant hose burst on me and after that my car would not start. I am thinking maybe the coolant got onto the cps sensor or something like that. Would a bad coil prevent the car from firing? how about a bad cps?
    Bad coil can prevent the car from firing if its bad enough not to provide needed potential. Yellow spark - bad.

Bad crankshaft position sensor can prevent the engine from starting. I think Bentley manual does provide information on how to check it.

I think it is an induction sensor, so you can attach multimeter leads to the ends to check for voltage spikes while moving a magnet next to it. You can probably find the needed contacts by consulting the wiring diagram at the end of the manual...

Good way to check sensor connection is by measuring resistance at the ECU connector - this way you combine the test of the sensor with the test of the wires leading to it.
    Last edited by Rustam; 04-13-2006 at 04:24 PM.

deleted air conditioning

are all your spark plugs giving yellow sparks? you say yo only pulled one, have you tested other leads apart from that one and with other spark plugs, so as to rule out faulty leads or plugs?
    faulty crank position sensor wouldnt result in yellow spark, youd either get no spark or in the wrong frequency
    possibly faulty coil
    but test plugs and leads first

I only tested one spark plug. All the plugs are brand new. I just installed a new cylinder head and I got the car to run fine. Then I had the coolant hose burst and then the car didnt start.

I'm pretty sure the wires are ok. I will check the CPS sensor tomorrow and see what I find. Also is there another way to check spark from the coil? I was thinking of turning the car over while holding the coil's primary wire close to ground and see if i can get a spark.

What car are you driving? What engine? what year? Check all the plugs for spark, check the coil wire at the cap (do you have a cap?), check the wires at the plugs(do you have wires?) Worry more about spark strength than color, It should easily jump 2 times the correct gap with a snaping sound if strong enough. Use a thin screwdriver pushed up inside the boot(you have boots?) between the boot and the end of the wire(you have wires?), hold the boot with insulated pliers and see how far it jumps to ground. You said a hose burst? maybe coolant got into the plug wire bundle (wires?) and is causing cross firing, or it got under the cap(cap?). Hope some of this helps since im just guessing.

Ya its a 1990 m20 bmw 525i.

Ok guys, I spend the whole afternoon troubleshooting the car and I still could not get it working. Here are some of my test results.

-Ignition coil is getting power and works(i swapped with my other bmw and everything worked great)
    -The fuel line going into the fuel rail has a high volume of fuel.
    -The distributor cap and rotor are still new and in good condition. Wires are in good condition.
    -Spark is still yellow. One thing I noticed with this is on my 87 528e I pulled out the spark plug and tested for spark and I shocked the **** out of me. The 525 doesnt seem to have as powerful as a spark as the 528e.
    -Crankshaft position sensor is clean and pretty close to the pulley teeth. It also reads 530 ohms like it should. That is read from the connector so the wires and sensor seem to be good.
    -The most troubling of problems came from my compression test. I test cylinders 1 thru 5 at 70 lbs, while the 6th cylinder was at 140 lbs. This clearly indicates that the rings are blown on 5 of the cylinders. But my question is this... If my rings are blown and my compression is low, would that prevent the engine from starting like it does?

My car turns over and sometimes hiccups but it will not fire up. I can also see, when i pull out the spark plugs that there is fuel on them.

What do you guys suggest as far as finding the solution to this problem? I'm seriously running out of idea's and feel like junking the car. But i really like this car and I prefer to get it running. Please help.

Default Did it over heat?

When the hose blew???

It may not be the spark

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

That's right, the hose blew and i pulled on the side of the road. When I came to a stop my engine killed. I went to restart and it never started again.

Also when I disconnected my battery and then reconnected, I recieved a code on my dash of "code tacho" Anyone know what Code tacho means?

I also tested for any codes and found out that my check engine lights blinks 17 times then blinks continuously. It just keeps blinking...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast