GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ot

Default Ot: BAcking up your computer files

for OT subjects is it forum protocol just to preface with OT and it's cool??

Anway the OT question is what the hell do we do about long term computer storage. I am now told DVD's only last a few years, so you need to re-burn. So what in fact is the solution, we all take a heap of digital images, cars, family etc,, some you print but the vast majority we dont, we store, but there is no long term storage (to my knowledge) so any ideas?
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

For important stuff (and for clients) I backup to a raid array, then keep that raid alive and in 5 or so years upgrade that aray, but I always keep backups on 2 seperate systems. (the live system, and the backup system, if either dies, another backup to something else is made immediately) I have never trusted cdr/dvdr media. My 2cents

NovceGuru
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

are raids expensive? and easy to use?
    1990 BMW 535i Exec

back stuff up on other computer hard drives, I have my important stuff spread across 3 machines and 5 seperate hard drives.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    back stuff up on other computer hard drives, I have my important stuff spread across 3 machines and 5 seperate hard drives.
    Jeff...i've thought about writing a script/frontend to do this, but it works just as well as a raid....just more manual work involved :P

You can do a SATA or IDE raid for < 250$ and *I* don't think they are hard to use, just follow the directions...
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

this is all really annoying, what we need is a long term storage medium, not magnetic, strong, resistant to lots of stuff. I would pay $100 per DISK! if I knew it would last 50 - 100 years

actually i would pay more
    1990 BMW 535i Exec