GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: turbo question

Default turbo question

i just got myself a new(used) turbo , as my last one was realy worn out (lots of spitting oil in the intake and very little boost). now, this one came with an exhaust manifold witch has an blow-out valve, AGR, or whatever it's called. it is vacum operated by a little black box (as seen on realoem). So anyone have any idea where should i find it(the little black box) on the donor car? I seam to have a matching connector hanging around in that area but i'm not realy sure if it's the right one.
    Oh, and another thing: Will it help me in any way?

IMO i would not add the EGR to the car if its not currently fitted. you would need all associated pipework, i think the inlet manifold is different too, the exhaust pipe from manifold goes round front of engine and into valve on end of inlet manifold, dont think adding all the bits would be of any great benefit to you.

i think the EGR is mainly to help lower exhaust emissions at certain operating conditions, someone correct me if im wrong. i personally wouldnt bother fitting it if it was not standard on the car
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys

the EGR in theory lowers the piston tops temperature by several hundred degrees, I used to think it was just for emmissions but I was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by iainand
    IMO i would not add the EGR to the car if its not currently fitted. you would need all associated pipework, i think the inlet manifold is different too, the exhaust pipe from manifold goes round front of engine and into valve on end of inlet manifold, dont think adding all the bits would be of any great benefit to you.

i think the EGR is mainly to help lower exhaust emissions at certain operating conditions, someone correct me if im wrong. i personally wouldnt bother fitting it if it was not standard on the car
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=11&fg=50
    i'm talking bout part 8 in the diagram. i'm kinda confused here. So what exactly does this EGR,AGR thing do? And how does it work? I see there is an extra pipe in the intake diagram but it doesn't show where it connects. I guess i'm gonna leave it as it is but i'm curious about it's use. Can someone please enlighten me? thanks...

Dude, that looks like a wastegate not a EGR valve. is there a port on the #8 thing for another pipe? Like does it tie back into the exhaust?

Default Its an egr, the m51 incorporates an egr valve for emissions reasons as they

have speculated

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Dude, that looks like a wastegate not a EGR valve. is there a port on the #8 thing for another pipe? Like does it tie back into the exhaust?

Default heres realoem for my car

this shows the parts for the EGR system between exhaust manifold and inlet manifold and the vacumn control valve

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...11&hg=11&fg=40

no.15 being the control valve
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys