GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: speaker help

Default speaker help

Hello, i was wondering if someone would be so kind as to make a list of the best bang for your buck(USD) speakers and amp i can get for my car.

I took the door speakers(dont't know what they're called) out to see what they looked like and they're made by Nokia if that makes any difference. I assume that all the other speakers are also Nokias? The rear speakers don't have to look too original but i would like the 6 speakers up front to look as stock as possible.

My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P3500 if that helps.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the longish post.

Quote Originally Posted by wang540
    Hello, i was wondering if someone would be so kind as to make a list of the best bang for your buck(USD) speakers and amp i can get for my car.

I took the door speakers(dont't know what they're called) out to see what they looked like and they're made by Nokia if that makes any difference. I assume that all the other speakers are also Nokias? The rear speakers don't have to look too original but i would like the 6 speakers up front to look as stock as possible.

My head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P3500 if that helps.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the longish post.
    Welcome. Long posts are fine, no stress.

Don't touch it, if you have mids in the dash, tweeters in the doors and woofers in the kick panels you have the premium sounds system and it is excellent. Follow the other posts and gut your stock amp, power the speakers using modern amps driven from the low level output from your Pioneer. It's a bit of effort, but so is changing your speakers as they are a non-standard size. You will have a lot of trouble getting new speakers well matched to the interior as well as BMW did with the custom crossover network and careful placement.

The only problem with these cars is the amp and head unit. The cross-over and speaker setups are excellent, except they are a very short on bass, so add a sub and eq and you have solved that...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I changed all my speakers, headunit, and whacked amp and subs in the 'trunk'.

We ran all fresh wiring, so effectively, my car has 2 stereo systems onboard. (Of course the original one doensn't work)

I kept all original sizes (5 1/4in 'splits' in the front, 6in rear) in factory locations, but the rear fill was a bit difficult, and the grilles only just fit over the rear speakers.

Keeping factory locations for speakers is a good idea, as, with the rest of the car, many hours would have gone into getting it right!!

My install was only cheap $1400USD tops... and it sounds SWEEEEET!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

I can't believe i forgot to mention that the reason i want to change is that my drivers side door speaker isn't working and my passanger side dash speaker isn't working. If im gonna change them i might as well change all of them.

If its not worth changing all the speakers can i get new ones from the dealer?

how much do you want to spend?
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Buy those speaker used from ebay... the cheapest way. But before I do that, I would pull out the speakers to make sure the connection is good. Hook up another speaker to find out if it is getting signals.

Infinity 5.25 Kappa perfect components in front, Infinity 5.25 Reference components in rear. Pioneer Deh 8000R headunit, 4ch California profile Blue 400watts RMS running fronts and rears, One 4ch 1500watt RMS Bridged Mark Antony Gspot amp running a one 12" Alpine type R sub tuned at 28hz. My Car is currently hitting 148.2db @ 40hz.... Not too bad for one subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    how much do you want to spend?
    ill spend maybe 600

$600 will buy you a very nice amp... and a great set of component speakers for front.

yea you can get some reasonable stuff for 600US .. remember to factor in cost for wiring and cost for the sub enclosure

couple things to keep in mind:
    -all you need is some 2-way components for the front.. don't worry about rears they are just for fill
    -get a ported box.. an amp in your price range will not push enough sound into the cabin. you can design the box so the ports run through the ski-hole and into the cabin..
    -instead of two amps get a 4-way and bridge the rear channels for the sub. great cost-effective solution.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike