GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Eisenmann muffler & Eberspaecher resonator

Default New Eisenmann muffler & Eberspaecher resonator

Santa Claus brought me a stainless steel muffler for Christmas. I wanted it for the sound. No salt on the roads in San Diego, so that wasn't an issue. Not trying to get a couple of more horsepower out of a mod. I just wanted it to purr. The 90 525 we used to have had a loud deep rumble like a Harley. We I got this 535 last summer, its thin whiney voice was the only dissappointment. The indies tried to talk me out of getting a "growler" but I had my heart set on one.

I picked the Eisenmann on the basis of the Supersprint would not be loud enough, the BB Tri-flow would be too loud, and the Eisenman would be just right. You guys helped me decide to get a new resonator and not go the straight pipe method. Made that decision on the basis of the noise in the passenger compartment would be too loud without the resonator.

My indy put in the order for me around the first of the year. There are about a zillion distributors listed on the Eisenhaus website but it took him about 10 days to find someone willing to accept the order. He finally had to go through the national rep for the US and was told it would take at least 8 weeks for delivery as each one is made when the order is received. Mine got here about 2 weeks ago.

La Jolla Independent did the install for me.

My car came from Pennsylvannia so the old exhaust was pretty nasty even though she has be a garage princess most of her life.

Here is Chris cutting the old one off. (Chris has the screen name SDlongboarder. He has an e34 Touring. Even though he doesn't post much, he is one of us).

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default Here are the new toys fresh out of the box

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default "Fitment"

Chris put it on and worked with the placement so it didn't melt the plastic on the bumper. He sort of did a light weld between the resonator and the muffler and then took it back off.

He had to melt the muffler and the resonator together because there was a tiny gap. He would heat up the metal on the muffler and stretch it to the resonator. He said the ss was hard to melt.

Here is what the united system looked like.

Chris and Carl put it back up and do the final installation.

Last edited by Gayle; 04-11-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Gayle, we are waiting on the sound video

gayle, where did you buy the Eisenmann from? did you deal direct?
    Last edited by rob101; 04-11-2006 at 01:48 PM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

You will be waiting a long time. I just go back from the video editor and it it going to be cost prohibitive.

When I was selecting mine, it was difficult to decide because for me it was all about the sound and how do you know what it will sound like?

I found these clips but I wanted before and after.

http://members.aol.com/agspeed/exhaust.htm

I wanted to solve that problem for others so I was going to video my car before and after the eisenmann.

I borrowed a video camera from a friend. Got out at 7 am and had hubby video the sound of the car before the install. It was not a high point of marital harmony. I am giving him the look that wifes give their husbands because he is photographing the ground and his shoes rather than my exhaust. He felt like his male pride was on the line and he threw down the camera and walked off. And the hispanic construction workers arriving for the job next door were giving him the look that said "just slap the b**ch".

The after photo shot went a little better but hubby was much more interested in photographing my legs than the muffler. And then we got a really nice clip of the sound on the interior.

Went to the video editor today for the purpose of editing the swearing and the ground shots out. I was prepared to spring for the money for the editing but when he told me that it would require compression and that could take 3-4 hours of computer time at $95 an hour, I said nahhh.

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    gayle, where did you buy the Eisenmann from? did you deal direct?

The indy ordered it for me and with great difficulty. I report that for those contemplating getting one. It is not for those intent on instant gratification. Carl, the owner of La Jolla Independents comment was "its nice but I don't know if it was worth the wait."

Default you can edit it yourself

Gayle, is it on 8mm tape...if so yo can do your own editing by first copying it on to VHS tape...edit out what you dont want while playin it on your TV and then just video the TV..it works well. I do all the time for Motorcycle Videos

So given there there is not going to be a video clip unless someone here can do the compression for me, I will just have to describe the sound results.

The resonator was a total surprise. Pre- new resonator, I could hear the valve noise and just didn't like the sound of the engine. After the new resonator, the engine sounds much much better. For all those who are less than satisfied with the lack of luxury class quietness of the e34 (Jay and Pundit--I am speaking to you), I say get a new resonator. I would say it was a 50% drop in sound.

In fact, the resonator is so effective, I initially thought the eisenmann was not loud enough. The first few hours of driving it, I thought it was less loud than the old muffler. I expected it to scream a little at 3500-4000 rpms, but nada. The only place I heard it was when I was slowing down and the rpms were dropping from about 1500-1000. I was thinking I don't know if this was worth about $1400 (I am looking for the receipt and will give exact price details later when I locate it).

I stayed at a hotel in Orange County that night and as the valet parker drove it off, I heard the eisenmann sing for the first time. My reaction was "holy ___! That's my car. Who knew it sounded like that?"

I would say it is about 25% louder but the sound quality is so much better. I have a professional job so I wasn't going for the boy racer sound. I just wanted it to sound like you would expect a 535 to sound. When I was looking for information online trying to make my decision, someone described the eisemann as sounding like "pure sex". I don't know that I would go that far, but it is definitely a pleasing sound.

At bimmerfest, I heard an e34 M5 with an eisenmann that was straight-piped. It sounded really good but loud. I don't know how much was the M5 engine and how much was the eisenmann.

I know this was throwing stupid money at my car, but I don't care. I am really happy.

Quote Originally Posted by califblue
    Gayle, is it on 8mm tape...if so yo can do your own editing by first copying it on to VHS tape...edit out what you dont want while playin it on your TV and then just video the TV..it works well. I do all the time for Motorcycle Videos
    We can add that to the project list for May when we detail my engine. I don't do vcrs. That is hubby's department and this video is sort of a sore subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast