GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M5 Engiine Conversion

Default M5 Engiine Conversion

Does any one know where I can find some information on swapping my out the stock engine in my 1994 525i for a M5 engine?

python
    Thanks
    Python1
    1994 525i

Uh.....which M5 engine? Any S38 other than a B38 isn't worth putting into the car unless it's free, the S62 is a piece, and the S85....well, that'd be a first.

Either way, it requires replacement of practically everything in the driveline, brake work, and other such things. Much smarter to just by an M5.

best, whit

Hmmm, needs EVERYTHING? Lets see, a S38 B36 isn't worth it? Hmmm, a lighter 525i with M5 running gear, thats not too bad. I know that my 525i is faster than many e34 M5s out there and I only have a chip and cam gears in it. The lesser weight helps. Seen a pic of my G-tech from 3 yrs ago...5.6s to 60mph in my snow tires. The car is faster now with a better chip and some cam gears.

You don't need M5 brakes, perhaps e31 fronts and 540 rears or at least upgraded pads. I kept the rear diff case and had a custom driveshaft made for the front M5 driveshaft and 525i rear. It's great handling the power and there are many more differentials out there I can choose from to swap in. You will many things in the engine bay, but radiator and fan is the same as 535i. You will need at least: complete engine, tranny, driveshaft, full exhaust, and brackets to be welded-in for the coil optional for air box, the wiring harness.

At the time I did my swap, I was able to purchase engine, harness, tranny, diff, driveshaft, and ome small bits for the same price an S50 B30 long block was going for. So I got a remarkable deal. The brakes and suspension were already upgraded on my car prior to the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Uh.....which M5 engine? Any S38 other than a B38 isn't worth putting into the car unless it's free, the S62 is a piece, and the S85....well, that'd be a first.

Either way, it requires replacement of practically everything in the driveline, brake work, and other such things. Much smarter to just by an M5.

best, whit
    Brandon J

where did you save weight Brandon.I thought the bigget weight increase is the gearbox,and the big case diff is also heavier.Did you keep your original diff in the car or did i misunderstand?
    Gone but not forgotten

Rear diff, rear subframe, control module to shut off A/C compressor on WOT (mine is directly wired to compressor button), extra motors for the thigh support in the front sport seats, trunk liner/cover panels, smaller gas tank, self leveling, and perhaps more I cannot think of right now.

Other weight savings that exist, but I have countered with upgrades are with the brakes, wheels, swaybars.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    where did you save weight Brandon.I thought the bigget weight increase is the gearbox,and the big case diff is also heavier.Did you keep your original diff in the car or did i misunderstand?
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    S62 a piece? Please do explain.