Hi,

I have 1993 525i Touring (e34) and was hoping someone could offer some quick problem solving. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The problem:
When the Air Conditioner is on (and snowflake AC button is pressed) the fan works but there is very little (if any) cool air. I tried running the AC for the first time this spring and was unable to get any cool air after running it for 1 hour (while driving). About 6 months ago I replaced the resistor pack and that seemed to correct the fan issue I had. Would you have any idea of what is causing the AC to not work properly?

Not sure if this is related but during the winter every time I put the heat on I would hear an initial click (once) and then the heat would go on perfectly fine. Is this related to the AC? Compressor related?

Possible solutions:
* Refrigerant - maybe the solution is as easy as simply replacing/recharging the refrigerant. The car is old and i'm not sure when the last time the refrigerant was replaced (or indeed if the refrigerant has to ever be replaced).

* Low freon?

* Replace the compressor - maybe the problem is with a faulty compressor (might this account for the initial clicking I hear when I put the heat on?). Perhaps the compressor clutch is failing to engage when i turn the ac on?

* fuse?